What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.6 Blown Fan Resistor pack... Changing Pollen - backtodiesel
Can anyone tell me where this is located and how difficult it is to change? I have had problems with the fan resistor pack blowing and understand this could be because the pollen filter has got wet (in the past it does sometimes sound like it is sucking air in through water (bubbly)).

If anyone has any other ideas why this is happening I would be happy to hear from them.

Cheers

Chris
01 1.6 Blown Fan Resistor pack... Changing Pollen - mikej
I can't comment on your fan resistor pack problem, but I have replaced the pollen filter on my 1999 1.8i during my last DIY service.

You'll probably be able to find advice on changing the pollen filter by searching this forum, but here's a cut and paste of a recent mesage I've posted on one of the Ford Focus forums...
_____

To remove the pollen filter, you have to remove a scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen (passenger side) and they're usually fitted so tightly that it's hard to remove it without breaking the clips hidden beneath. This means that when it's refitted, it often doesn't fit properly and any leaks caused by an ill-fitting scuttle panel will cause water to end up in the passenger footwell.

My advice if you break the clips (which are integral with the panel and can't be easily replaced on their own) is simply to buy a new panel - they're only £20 and (with the butyl strip, ordered separately) fit back perfectly if you're careful.
_____

I'm only doing this from memory, but if you only want to inspect the pollen filter, you may be able to open the bonnet and undo the clips along the front edge of the scuttle panel, then prise it up (carefully) so as not to disturb the seal with the windscreen. This will probably give you a gap just big enough to see the front edge of the pollen filter with the aid of a torch. If you break this seal and don't reseal it properly as described above, then you may end up causing more leaks !