What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
false service history.. - mondy2.2
Just joined and wondering what peoples views of my problem is with new car...

Ive owned my mondeo 2.2 tdci ghia x for 5 month and had a problem with a cold start,i took it back to dealers i bought it from being told if it is injectors,what they thought,it wouldnt be under warrenty.

Since then i found out that the service history it did have from that same dealers was all false (the dealership was taken over a year ago and stamps are all from new dealership,even first few)as theve no record of that car ever been worked on buy them even though the service book was full of there stamps,i questioned this with salesman to which he got me another book and stamped it with the previous dealerships stamps then new dealerships stamps giving me 2 service books saying that should sort it!!

I then contacted citizens advice who then advised me to contact trading standards,since then,theve fitted a set of injectors at the cost to THEM of around £1000.

Ive since contacted the general manager of this branch who has asked me not to got to trading standards,we can sort this out without involving them.

So do i go a head with trading standards or see what he can offer me not to?

Cheers for any responce to this.
false service history.. - Falkirk Bairn
Do not take it lying down

False Servicing stamps is FRAUD

Get your money back, then go to Trading Stds and they will take matters forward including potential court action against the dealership BUT get your money back FIRST!
false service history.. - Rattle
It is staggering commonly. Many of will know I lost £100 deposit on a car I was not happy with. I suspect the service history may have been fake on that as it had no receipts to back it up. Moral of the story never buy a car with only stamps, get all the receipts for work carried out, check with the dealers database that the service has been carried out. If it just has stamps ignore the history and treat it has no service history.

This fraud seems to be very common but it shocking that a main dealer could even think about doing this.

Ford/GM etc have the threat of the Koreans, if their dealers continue to behave like this then Kia et all will steal a lot of sales from these traditonal companies.

PS I assume this is a main dealer and not some Author Dailey and Co place trading in an allotment shed?
false service history.. - niceguyeddy
Not very common to see a car with all the receipts.

Almost all cars only have a service book with stamps.

Dont you struggle to find a car fitting your criteria ?

false service history.. - Rattle
The last few cars have owned came with most of them. At the very least if you have no receipts at least get evidence from the dealer the work has been done. Stamping is too easy.
false service history.. - Andrew-T
>The last few cars I have owned came with most of them [receipts]

That's fine, but by only accepting cars with receipted history you are easily missing plenty of good cars. I change my car's oil and filter every 6K miles and record it in the book; but there aren't any receipts. I usually get my indie to stamp the book for jobs like changing coolant or brake fluid, but I am pretty sure he wouldn't do it unless I asked him.

At the end of the day you have to make a balanced judgment, especially when (as this thread shows) service history can be treated with such contempt. My 205 has almost no history (I was told the first owner was a mechanic and DIY) and it is a great little car. Receipts are OK but not infallible by any means.
They are a main dealer,i wont name names but they say on there website they have risen from strength to
strength over the past 50 years to become Europe's
largest independent car dealer.

Now they are asking for my 2 service books,to "investigate" photo copys have been given instead.im keeping tight a hold of these!!
my car i px had every recipt for every bit of work done,including servicing,mots and old tax discs,ive always kept every thing from my cars the salesman couldnt believe it when he seen file.

But now when im looking through the manuals from the mondeo,the Audio guide dosent have my radio in,first service portfolio has no information to say what car it comes from(chassis number,reg,trim etc) owners hand book is later style (to match my 2ND service book)

Its looking worse and worse every time i look for things,i spent that long looking over car itself,spot less it is aswell (im a spray painter) ive been niaeve when its come to service history as every car ive bought from dealers which say it has service history has!
false service history.. - bananastand
this can cause blood pressure and insomnia problems as well as homicidal urges - good luck, like the man said, get your dough back!!!! good luck
false service history.. - quizman
How many miles has the Mondeo done?

Have you asked a main Ford dealer to check the service history on their computer?

Just because you haven't got the correct service book doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't been serviced. Some dealers get the books mixed up, but they should not start stamping new books willy nilly.

Not everybody can give the new owner all the receipts, some people are VAT registered and have to keep the paperwork in case the Vatman makes a visit.

If you are pleased with your new car and it goes well, don't worry just get it serviced anywhere but the dealer you bought the car from, I would not trust them to fill my washer bottle.
false service history.. - think&drive
Is the car OK - is anything wrong with it - does it perform as it should - why is everyone so concerned bit bits of paper? - because of this concern, it seems to me some people loose sleep, discretion and the will to live - and of course this over concern with paperwork gives the dishonest sellers (both private and dealer) an easy way to sell you a pile of rubbish - but if the paperwork looks OK - you like a child accept it, and think you have a good car because the paperwork suggests it is.................... I could go on but why - if the man wants paperwork give him paperwork - I remember a saying from VW that if someone were to look at VW without knowing what they were they would think they were a paper company with a big car park.
i bought the car with 28k on the clock.

It was the same company who told me it had no service history,they went to stamp the paint and body recored which had been missed by them during"service" it had a book full of there stamps,which they checked on there computor system and had no recored of ANY work by this dealership,the same dealership which sold the car.

Service rang other branches to find out if it been there for the work,they were told no,rang another ford dealer,also told no.

ive rang around different dealers,same answer,NO.

Also i bought the car with Full ford service history,now it apears to have none.
false service history.. - StevieC
Personaly whatever happens Mondy, I would say you are always going to have a bad taste in yr mouth about yr car, I wd tell them, I want another car (if u trust them) same value age etc or your full money back, its simple, if it was described as full Ford service history and isnt, its misdescribed and they could end up in court.
NO service history VW POLO 53REG.. - jadeywadey
CAN ANY1 HELP ME!?
I live in London and in May 2008 i found a used 53reg polo on the official vokswagen website that i wanted to buy. the only problem with it was a volkswagen franchise were selling it and it was in scotland.
I spoke several times with a sales assistant before going up there who assured me the car had full service history and nothing wrong with it at all
i got the train 2 scotland and when i arrived at the showroom the car wasnt ready it was havingsome work done?! i waited an hour to see the car that was suppose to be ready and waiting for me!
after i paid i asked for the service history, the sales assistant started getting aggitated and searching the show room for at least an hour whilst i just sat there no aware of what was going on.
he finally admitted he could not find the history and it possibly got lost.
they knocked £200 off the £4000 i paidfor the car and the manager wrote me a letter on headed paper saying that if they find the service history he will forward it to me but if it is gone,they will produce a duplicate book by going back to previous ownerand tracking where the services hadbeen done.
Ive made several calls to the office, wrote lettersto the head office but have never recieved the service book. i feel i have lost alot ofmoney becuase tosell the car now without service history will lose alot of money i spent. tthe manager is very rude and is now saying he cannot get the duplicatebookbecuase the previous owner wont share the information... despite him promising it to me in writing??
i dont want to let this go...any1 got any advice plllleeease!
thanks
NO service history VW POLO 53REG.. - Lud
I am afraid many people will tell you that outside your statutory rights under the sale of goods act you may have a hard time with it. They may also say that you should never take anyone's word for anything and that seeing and driving the car and being able to look at any alleged service record should happen before you hand over any money.

Is the car all right? That is what matters most.
NO service history VW POLO 53REG.. - niceguyeddy
If this is who I think it is then Im not surprised, I wont have any dealings with them. Minor edit - removed information which identified company. smokie

Easy to sort out though.... if its been done at a VW dealer

Go along to your nearest friendly VW dealer, find a helpful service receptionist and ask them to run the reg number through the national service database as VW keep all the service work done on all of their cars on a central database.

However Im 99.9% certain the car does not have a history and you have been lied to.

If I was asked to value your car as a PX the lack of history is not a big problem on a 53 plate car worth a few thousand possibly effect it by about £500 depending on the cars mileage................ however their is a point of principal here and I too would be very angry.

Have you tried phoning / writing to the previous owner yourself ? if its motability then they also have a central database.

Good luck !!

Edited by smokie on 03/12/2008 at 09:02

NO service history VW POLO 53REG.. - Andrew-T
>The manager wrote me a letter on headed paper saying that if they find the service history he will forward it to me but if it is gone, they will produce a duplicate book ...

Oh no ... Anyone who accepts that tale will be very lucky to get anything. You have travelled a long way from home. Once you have driven away they will bank your money and probably brush off any later approaches from you. What's in it for them?

About 10 years ago I bought a very nice soft-top about 60 miles from home. I had no complaints with the car, but once I was gone the dealer had no further interest in returning calls, etc.
false service history.. - Andrew-T
>Every car I've bought from dealers which say it has service history has!

That is where buying 'privately' can be an advantage, as you can usually speak to the car's owner or driver. He/she may have things to hide, of course, but usually when buying off a forecourt no-one there will have the remotest idea of the history of that car. All they can do is offer you warranty cover, which usually has annoying holes in it.
false service history.. - pd
In the case of a VAG car any dealer should be able to give a print out of services. Make sure it is done on the chassis number rather than the reg as so many cars have private plates now.

As a general note, I reckon about 50% of cars lose their manual, service book and spare key in the first 2 years. Most of owners simply do not care about such things when px'ing or handing back a lease/fiance car.

Most manufacturers, including VAG mentioned above and others such as Volvo (probably the most helpful company when it comes to tracing history), BMW and Citroen keep a central record of when cars have visited a franchised dealer so it is very easy to check service history for the early part of a cars life at least. Obviously as a car gets older and goes to independents it can be more difficult to trace but it becomes less important value wise then anyway.