What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 2.0 tdci - Front Brake Discs - TonyE
My 55 reg car is in today for its first MOT and while there I have asked them to service it. After its last service I was told that the pads on the back only had a couple of thousand miles left in them while the ones on the front were better for a bit more. I left it a bit longer than I should and then got the brakes done - in doing this they said that they would have to replace my rear discs due to damage by the over worn pads.

I have just had a call from the garage doing the service and they have told me that the front discs are on a poor state and need replacing. How can this happen in only a couple of months? Surely if the front discs are now in a poor state, they would have also been in a poor state a couple of months ago when the rear ones were replaced.

The car has 63k miles on it and is used for motorway driving mainly.

How long should a set of discs last?

{No need to repeat the make/model in the subject header - see When Posting A New Question To Technical Matters for guidance}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/11/2008 at 12:31

55 2.0 tdci Front Brake Discs - 55 Reg Mondeo - Alby Back
See my recent post in "discussion" in the MOT thread. The car referred to is an 02 Mondeo TDCi estate.
55 2.0 tdci Front Brake Discs - 55 Reg Mondeo - cheddar
Mine (2002 TDCi) had new front discs at 60k miles (mostly m/way driving) and again at 105k miles (less m/way driving). Rear pads also at about 60k and 105k though the rear discs are still going strong at 131k miles.
2005 2.0 tdci - Front Brake Discs - mands
I had a 2.2TDCi Mondeo and it also had new pads and disks - front and back at 62.5k miles - mixture of driving - I saved over £100 by getting the Rapid Fit dept of the Ford dealer to change them rather than the main service area however, they use the same parts but the labour is cheaper
2005 2.0 tdci - Front Brake Discs - Monsieur Kev
My Mondeo 2.2 TDCi has 65,000 kms (around 41,000 miles) on the clock and whereby my last Mondeo 2004 130 TDCi's brakes lasted until nearly 80,000 of motorway driving, I think this car's brakes will require attention soon.

Rather than wait until the inevitable I was thinking of replacing the pads now front and back with Mintex pads via ebay. However if I leave it a bit longer, I see that Mintex supply box sets of discs and pads. What should I do?

I have a late 2006 Titanium estate with self levelling rear suspension. I understand the pads are different on the estate?
2005 2.0 tdci - Front Brake Discs - jc2
If you're going to use anything off Ebay,you need to make sure items are genuine not rubbish in a box maked "Mintex".