What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Panda in Austria (review) - tyro
Getting a Fiat Panda as a rental car would not usually be considered particularly exciting, but I found it interesting because I drive a Ford Ka (outgoing model), and have often thought that maybe I would have been better with a Panda. (Academic question, because the Panda came out some months after I bought the Ka.) Anyway, here?s my ?Ka driver tries out Panda? thoughts.

Space. Not a lot of difference really, though the front seats on a Panda will slide quite a long way back, so it is good for tall drivers. It also has quite a high ceiling. I checked to see if it had the optional sliding rear seat, but it didn?t, which meant that the back seats had to be folded down for the boot to accommodate our cases.

Comfort. Again, not a lot in it. There was a foot rest beside the clutch, which is a big advantage over the Ka for long journeys (the Ka footwell is really too small), but I thought that if anything, the seat itself was marginally less comfortable. There was a seat height adjustment (for driver but not passenger), but it didn?t raise and lower the whole seat, just the back - i.e. it changed the angle of the base.

Dashboard. Miles better than the Ka. In my opinion, the Ka?s dashboard was a hopeless design - it was trying hard to be stylish and trendy, but was not very functional. The Panda dashboard has flat surfaces on which to put things, a decent glove-box, a rev-counter (something that a basic Ka didn?t have), a digital clock (I never liked the Ka?s analogue clock). Everything is nice and simple and functional.

Driving experience. Not that different from the Ka. Everything just worked nicely, once I got used to the dash-mounted gearstick. Steering and handling almost as good as the Ka, ride and refinement a little better. Engine fine while on the flat and on gentle hills, but struggled on some of the steeper slopes (see below). I don?t know for certain, but I have a feeling that the Ka would have struggled less going up some of the hills. But overall, a very pleasant and easy car to drive.

Other comments. The car could only be locked and unlocked from the driver?s door - central (but not remote) locking - and there was no keyhole in the passenger door, something I don?t recall seeing before.
My wife commented that because one sits higher up, one?s head is closer to the ceiling, so one cannot see the mountain scenery as well as one could with the Ka. Similarly, because it is a 5 door, rather than a 3 door, the B pillars are further forward, obstructing side vision a bit. Overall, visibility was probably about the same as with a Ka.

Driving in Austria.
In my opinion, speed limits tended to change rather frequently, and the changes sometimes seemed arbitrary. Going into villages with a 50 kmph limit, there was often simply a sign to tell you that the 80 kmph limit no longer applied, rather than a sign to tell you that it was now 50.

Interestingly enough, Jörg Haider had just died in a motoring accident before I arrived. He was, apparently, driving at 140 kmph in a 70 zone, and was well over the alcohol limit. He was driving a top of the range VW Phaeton, and I am told that some Austrians were speculating that such a vehicle was so strong and safe that he couldn?t have died unless there was some sort of foul play. Hmmmm.

The mix of cars on the road was not dissimilar to that in the UK, though there were more German cars, and it seemed, fewer Hondas and Toyotas and French cars. (And Rovers!) An unusual sight was two Porsche Cayennes driving past each other in Kitzbuhel.

A friend told me that because of rules about the disposal of used engine oil in Austria, it was virtually impossible for an ordinary bloke to change his own oil - it really has to be done by a professional.

And yes, I drove the Grossglockner road (Großglockner Hochalpenstraße) which was great. I did, however, feel that a Fiat Panda with a 1.2 engine was not the ideal vehicle for doing it - spending rather too much time dropping down into 2nd gear when going up hills. (I see NC had a similar experience! www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=34...7 ) It was surprisingly free of traffic for a sunny Saturday afternoon, which added considerably to the enjoyment of the drive. (Perhaps we have the 28 euro toll to thank for that!) I was later told that, on average, there are only 8 cloudless days a year on the road, so I count myself very fortunate.
I forgot to mention that I got just over 53 mpg on gentle driving, which is a little better than the Ka.

I've posted some pics of the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße here: tinyurl.com/5ssknr
Panda in Austria (review) - P3t3r
I think the Panda's boot is much better than the KA. The boxy design gives you maximum space for the size of the vehicle.

I didn't like the 1.2 Panda, but the Panda 100HP is completely different, and probably the best car I've driven.
Panda in Austria (review) - J500ANT
When I went up the Grossglockner in August they'd had snow the day before! It was lovely and clear though, Bentley were testing prototype Arnage models.

I had the same slow experience, my hire car was a 71bhp smart - i've got a smart but mine has 50bhp more!
Panda in Austria (review) - AndyT
My immediate impression of sitting in a Panda, was that it was a fair bit narrower than the Ka. Regarding the interior, I really liked the Ka's (analogue) clock back lighting when driving in the dark, these digital ones don't do it for me...
Panda in Austria (review) - tintin01
We love Austria and have had many holidays there. We were in Mayrhofen in June. I find it interesting that you don't see that many 4x4's, even in the Tirol - I guess the locals prefer to use winter tyres.

The grossglockner is great. Did you see any marmots? Considering that most building and development has to be done sympathetically to fit in with the environment, it's a shame that they built that gigantic, ugly, multi-story carpark just round the corner. I could never understand that, must be from the '60's or something.
Panda in Austria (review) - Zub
My wife and I have been to Austria several times on holiday now and whilst I agree about the typical 4x4 vehicles I did notice there are a lot more Quattro Audis and 4Motion VWs than back in the UK. The Post Office seems to use diesel 4Motion Golfs almost exclusively. I have a diesel 4motion Passat and have never seen another one yet on the UK roads.

Edited by Zub on 04/11/2008 at 10:14

Andy - The Ka is certainly wider than the Panda outside, and since the doors are narrow, I imagine it is wider inside as well. I tend to see that as an advantage to the Panda - easier to squeeze into small spaces.

tintin - Alas, we saw no marmots. Did you? If you have any hints about how to spot them, do let me know!

As you say, the Austrians are very good indeed about ensuring that building and development is tasteful and sympathetic, and I did find myself admiring this while I was there. But yes, there are some surprising lapses. (I really wasn't enthusiastic about the Museum of Modern Art in Salzburg.)
Panda in Austria (review) - tintin01
Maybe the marmots are already hibernating? We saw lots coming out of burrows. You could watch them from the wall on the road up to the grossglockner. Bit strange to watch them running about, then walk past a stall selling things made out of marmot skins.

Austria is one of the few places I would consider living outside the UK. It does have grotty bits but they seem few and far between. We like to go up a mountain and have a cup of tea whilst the kids play in the cafe's free playground. Slight improvement on the cafe at the top of the Great Orme.
Maybe the marmots are already hibernating?

That seems to be it. I googled, and at answers.com I found "Hibernates from September to mid-April or May as a family group."