What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 2.0 Power loss! Whats going on? - lilley
130 TDCi engine, had car since new, now done 44,450 miles, serviced every six months, camshaft sensor changed two months ago.

Three weeks ago after 140 miles at 70 mph and scarcely a drop in speed left M25 on sliproad for A12, slowed for dedicated slip road on roundabout and dropped into fourth gear, lost power, lost engine, cruised in neutral, with dead engine, to standstill, Glow Plug Indicator Light (GPIL) flashing. Switched off, restarted, no problems, no loss of power, no flashing lights, continued on my way.

400 miles later on 28/10 dropped from 5th to 4th on approach to roundabout, accelerated, loss of power, feathered off then accelerated again, no further problem, no flashing lights.

100 miles later on 30/10 the above happened twice in similar circumstances, first time no flashing lights, second time GPIL began flashing but because of road conditions not apparent that whether engine was in limp mode. Drove 3 miles to destination. Later restarted, no problems, and have driven 50 miles since without a further recurence.

Car going in for code reading next week and hopefully resolving of problem.

What should be looked for please? Any ideas what the problem might be please? Help!

halilley

02 2.0 Power loss! Whats going on? - spikeyhead {p}
A code read is the sensible way forwards,

Its probably a sensor of the connector or wiring associated with it and trying to guess which one of the myriad without a code read is fairly pointless.

When the codes are read get them to do you a print of them, someone with some knowledge will then be able to give you more help if you post them up here.
02 2.0 Power loss! Whats going on? - gandaulf
most likely the cam sensor starting to fail
Dear Gandaulf,

The present camshaft sensor is the Ford part now two months old. It was replaced because of a Screwloose recommendation on another thread, I was getting occasional starting problems ie with the flashing GPIL. Do you think that it could be failing already?

halilley
Just thought this might be relevant. Completed annual/major service last Friday afternoon. Changed the fuel filter, Ford part for Ford part, the old one had been on 2 years/16,000 miles. Tipped the contents of the old filter into a clean tin to find that it contained a modest quantity of wax. I generally use Tesco diesel fuel just occasionally Shell (all stations with massive throughput) and when in France for a month each summer I buy supermarket gasoil.

Was old filter partly blocked? Could this have any bearing?

halilley
02 2.0 Power loss! Whats going on? - Screwloose

Yes; maybe you got caught out by the unseasonably cold weather and still had summer diesel in the tank - you weren't the only one.
Codes: This morning had the codes read by a Ford garage which I trust. I watched while it was carried out and I had asked for printed read-outs. The only one screen which was not a blank was' Anti-Lock Brake/Traction control Module' Description'- B1484 Open Circuit in The Brake Light Switch and Brake Light Circuit. Check all the brake light bulbs - I have this on A4 in front of me. The technician thought that it was an old code. We checked the brake light bulbs, all working correctly. He said I could change the brake light switch - might make a difference. He checked the vacuum on the EGR valve - good, he suggested dismantling it and cleaning it out because it is probably full of soot.

Wax: On 22nd October I filled the tank with 58.24 liters of Tesco's diesel. Prior to that I had topped it up with 25 liters of Tesco's diesel on 1st October. I live in the Bournemouth area, it has not been particularly cold here yet although we did have a couple of nights with ground frost around 22nd Oct.

Car is behaving itself at present, should I just leave it alone?

halilley

02 2.0 Power loss! Whats going on? - Screwloose

If you had wax in the filter and a new filter has cured it; then I'd leave it there.

It's actually driving that causes the wax, fast-moving wet air on exposed fuel lines.
Thank you Screwloose, as usual a wonderful help.

halilley
Something strange is still going on! Two tanks of Tesco diesel and 1000 miles later this morning I had made a round trip of 12 miles uneventfully. I was on a second trip when I noticed the GPIL flashing, no loss of power, the engine was not in limp mode. I switched off at my destination. Based on previous experience I expected it to clear on restart, but no, I have driven the car as normal throughout the rest of the day, probably another 10 restarts, with the GPIL flashing throughout. Until today if the GPIL was flashing the engine would not start and I had to switch off the ignition and try again, this used to be a 1(ish) time in 10 problem.

I had my eyes and ears peeled and the only other thing I noticed was what seemed to be a 'tinkling' sound from the engine on initial acceleration from rest or low speed, it appeared to disappear while cruising.

Any ideas please? I am reluctant to drive this car too far from home until resolved.

halilley
02 2.0 Power loss! Whats going on? - Javalin
>Two tanks of Tesco diesel and 1000 miles later...
makes me wish I had a diesel sometimes...

However. If the GPIL light is flashing then i'd guess its the warning light for the car - best to take to garage and have codes read again....

James
The engine was difficult to start after standing for two days. The GPIL was flashing all the time so no indication as to when the glow-plugs were hot. Had to guess, got it started at the fourth attempt. Most unhappy until warm then drove OK but in limp mode. Had the codes read by my Ford dealer, one injector needed recalibrating. Did all four while I waited. £30-00 including VAT, now pulling like a train.

halilley