What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - sir_hiss
Current in the market to get a year old Galaxy 2.0 TDCi Ghia (manual) to replace the very ancient hyundai estate. Found an almost identical pair at an independent, but one is a x-pack variant, 2k less miles with a price differential of +2.5k which seems a bit wide to me. I know from experience that some vehicles (volvo/merc/bmw etc) need leather + gadgets to keep their price but are MPV's with hi-lux interiors that sought after ?

Edited by Pugugly on 26/10/2008 at 13:06

Ooops - not normally one to post replies to my own postings but having just now done a Glass's valuation on the x-pack variant, its for sale at £500 above val- i.e a differential of 2K would be about right. Tried extracting discount to no avail and it turns out now my own evaluation is spot on Glass's. Time to walk away before I get too fond of it ?
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - Pugugly
You're the one who'll be driving the car and only you can tell whether you want it two grands worth - mmmmm leather, nice that !
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - gordonbennet
want it two grands worth - mmmmm leather nice that !

At 4 am on a freezing February morning its not, its aaaargh!

;)
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - Marc
What exactly do you get extra on the X? Not just leather is it?
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - yorkiebar
Exactly the sort of car that is going to struggle to move quick.

If the seller wont move on the price its either worth it (he knows and will hold out for price) or its still going to be there and on offer to clear it in the not so distant future!

Only you can judge if you are prepared to spend to get it ! Are you considering resale value ? (if times get hard it will get harder to move on so value will collapse?) Or are you considering desirablity? (only worth something if you have spare money)

I am not saying which is right or not, there is a case for both sides!
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - Alby Back
One can usually remain rational about car choice, more or less. until the question of trim level arises. At that point we, most of us anyway, become fairly irrational. It is part of the human condition though and is not to be feared unless the consequences would lead to irretrievable poverty.
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - Pugugly
That's philosophy (of Lud type magnitude) !
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - Alby Back
Oh dear me no, I would and could never pretend to those dizzy heights of wordsmithery !

No, it's just that, probably driven by the zeitgeist, we do all seem to be looking a little too deeply at the economic implications of our car preferences. Most of us who want to spend time on a site like this are some form of car enthusiast. That in itself implies some healthy irrationality.

To return to popularist cliche, if it floats your boat and you can afford it, why not ?

Happy motoring ( remember that ? ) !!
Second hand Ghia is the Xpack worth it ? - boxsterboy
Maybe the book price for the X-pack is £2k above standard Ghia price now, but I can guarantee that when you come to sell it on the difference will be down to £100 tops. Bear that in mind when making your decision, however nice the X-pack is.

I also wouldn't entertain leather seats without heaters.

Just for the record we went for a standard Ghia but on a much alter june 08 plate + satnav for the same price with a few other bits chucked in.