What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.8 Rear brake overheating. - Dave Evans
My 1999 1.8 Focus has gone through 2 rear offside wheel bearing, new drums, new shoes and been looked at by 3 garages but still has the same problem.
The rear brake/wheel seems to be 'binding' causing it to overheat - so much so that after 10 miles the alloy is too hot to keep my hand on. It also squeals going around corners.
Last year the wheel bearing needed replacing so both sides were done (110,00k miles). since then the brake gets very hot (drum) causing the alloy to get extremely hot too. Garages have taken 3 looks at it and...
First - replaced the wheel bearing, shoes and drums.
Second - replaced the wheel bearing, adjusted brakes and handbrake.
Third, replaced brake adjusters, set up brakes, tested it on the rolling road, result was ok... for a day.

IT NOW GETS HOT AGAIN AFTER JUST A FEW MILES!!

Anyone know what it could be, how to fix it, OR wants a cheap Focus?

Thanks.

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 11/10/2008 at 19:09

1999 1.8 Rear brake overheating - 3 garages unable - topbloke
depends how handy you are with a spanner, i would find a spanner that fits the bleed nipple then i would drive the car untill the wheel becomes hot i would then quickly (and safely) jack the car up and see if the wheel turns i would assume not i would then release/open the bleed nipple and while its open see if the wheel is then free to turn if so then you will have a fault on the hydralic side of things possible flexible pipe collapsed not allowing the fluid to return to the master cyl, if opening the nipple don't make any difference then it has to be a tight bearing brakes over adjusted handbrake not returning correctly etc
1999 1.8 Rear brake overheating - 3 garages unable - bathtub tom
Many years ago a neighbour had a similar problem.

The servo had corroded, and partially collapsed (not obvious to the naked eye). This made the operating rod running through it effectively longer. The servo was then permanently applying the brakes.

We diagnosed it by removing the vacuum line from the servo (plug it to prevent rough running) and after several operations of the brake pedal to empty the vacuum reservoir, found the brakes were no longer binding.

Be very careful driving without the servo operative, the brake pedal will be very 'hard'.
1999 1.8 Rear brake overheating - 3 garages unable - injection doc
sounds like a common case of a flexi brake hose holding pressure on as Topbloke has already stated or a handbrake cable issue.
The cable may be partially seizing but when on a vehicle hoist all functions OK due to the angle of the rear arms.
Does the handbrake have plenty of freeplay?.
Early focuses did have a servo related brake issue but I think it was to do with having a very wooden feel when first driving off.
I doc
1999 1.8 Rear brake overheating - 3 garages unable - the swiss tony
I concur with brake hoses being the best bet.....
from OP << Last year the wheel bearing needed replacing so both sides were done (110,00k miles). since then the brake gets very hot >>

Its possible the brakes were disturbed / removed during wheel bearing replacement, and the hoses clamped to prevent fluid loss, and inadvertently damaged.

My father had a problem years ago, with a sticky caliper, we replaced the caliper, but the fault remained. we then replaced the hose, and no more problems.
I cut the hose in 1/2 along its length, and found a flap of rubber acting as a one way valve!
1999 1.8 Rear brake overheating - 3 garages unable - Dave Evans
Thanks for all the advice guys, gonna get my spanners out today and try each bit of advice out methodically - its been driving me nuts!