What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Here's one the police did get right... - ifithelps
Guy got 10 years for death by dangerous after his stolen car flipped over the central reservation and hit and killed a driver coming the other way.

The prosecution played footage of the police chase in court.

I watched it with a few others and we all agreed, you couldn't fault the police on this occasion.

Decided to post this after seeing the locked thread about the grandmother.

www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/.../

Finally sorted this link - third time lucky. For some reason it took a dislike to TinyURL

Edited by Pugugly on 28/09/2008 at 21:46

Here's one the police did get right... - Devolution
As is the case with police forces across the country, you generally never hear about the hundreds of successes every day, the raids that happen while we sleep, the criminals caught and lives saved, and you only hear when they get it wrong.

Like everything it's good to see it balanced and in perspective too, thanks to the OP.
Here's one the police did get right... - b308
Quite, it seems every time there is an accident involving a Police chase it seems to get posted... I think enoughs enough... yes they are at fault sometimes, but lest face it they shouldn't have to chase these people in the first place... lets lay the blame where it should lie - speeders, joy(?)riders, etc.
Here's one the police did get right... - Hamsafar
The link now points to "Wealthy financier 'killed by train'"
Please use the link in the firs post - now fixed.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/09/2008 at 21:47

Here's one the police did get right... - Fullchat
10 years for a life???
Fullchat,

Sentence was actually made up as follows:

Eight years for death by dangerous plus two and a bit consecutive for the burglary in which the keys to the car were taken.

Maximum for death by dangerous is 14 years, defendant entitled to discount for pleading guilty, as you know, but others on here might not.
Here's one the police did get right... - Zippy123
Thanks for putting the correct story up.

This is one of the case of the police getting it right and a real damned if the do / don't thing. If they hadn't chased the crook then there would have been no accident at that point, but probably one later on in his journey!

I bet eight years isn't enough for the dead persons family!

This is one of the situations where you think - you just wouldn't want to be a copper!
Here's one the police did get right... - Ludwig
This sent a shiver down my spine..... because the facts are spookily similar to a case i had some involvement in a couple of years ago. Fella in stolen 4x4, banned, wanted to be recalled to prison, over the limit and driving recklessly away from the cops, went the wrong way down a dual carriageway and collided head on with a car containing two friends.. They were both killed.... leaving our bruised hero to be arrested at the scene sat in his stolen car shaking his head. All recorded on CCTV, no doubt whatsoever about the horrific events and who was to blame. He really had no option at all but to plead guilty, but that didn't stop the Judge giving him credit off his sentence and giving him ten years for two Deaths by reckless. The judge clearly did not want to give him any credit at all but was constrained by the system. Can you guess what the two families thought of it all?
Here's one the police did get right... - scotty
Not too sure why this is being posted as one the police got right. Their chase ended in a death. How can that be right? Is the OP trying to provoke this kind of response I wonder?

Edited by scotty on 29/09/2008 at 01:50

Not too sure why this is being posted as one the police got right. Their

chase ended in a death. How can that be right?>>

Apologies for my inadequate attempt at summing up this situation in seven words.

The independent investigation found the four police drivers involved stuck rigidly to the rules/guidelines on bringing vehicles to a controlled stop - they did nothing wrong might be a better way to put it.

One could be cynical about the investigation, but I watched the video in the company of others.

None of us are trained in pursuits, but using common sense, none of us could see the police doing anything wrong.

They could perhaps have brought the chase to a halt sooner, but equally, this guy had plenty of time to stop - would have given him the chance to have another swig of whisky.

As regards trying to provoke a reaction, you will have to look elsewhere for hidden motives and conspiracy theories.

I'm just calling the case as I see it.
What gets my goat with cases like this is that we often find (as in this case) that the "driver" has many pervious convictions for driving whilst disqualified/under the influence... surely they should be stuck away long before we get to the 7th, and fatal, incident? (And as they are the only ones where he was actually caught, I assume he actually did more)

Here's one the police did get right... - Tron
...no.

The death of an innocent member of the public is far from getting it right.

A 'fail to stop' vehicle should be taken out as soon as possible, by any means and with no regard for the safety or the wellbeing of the driver of that vehicle.

Taylor pleaded guilty - the footage shows he was and is guilty - why is he now costing us £300+ a day for the next 10 years and not dangling at the end of a rope?

Here's one the police did get right... - Stuartli
Re TinyURL. Try:

tinyurl.com/3uz5hw

Edited by Stuartli on 29/09/2008 at 12:25

Here's one the police did get right... - Westpig
I thought this thread had gone on a bit without some jip for the Old Bill, i've almost been disappointed that the old armchair expert hasn't waded in from their wholly uninformed position, quoting great chunks of previous rabble rousing tabloid journalism
Here's one the police did get right... - Zippy123
As I said earlier WP re stopping / chasing the guy :Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The accident just moves up the road.

There are no winners though when someone gets killed.

I wouldn't have wanted to be a copper there that night.

Here's one the police did get right... - Westpig
There are no winners though when someone gets killed.

too true.... and if you're the pursuer the inevitable could I, should I, what if, questions that will haunt you for ever more

what real choice though?...if you never pursue, there'd be anarchy as every low life tom, dick and harry would hop in a car and commit what ever crime they like

that sort of thing is already beginning to happen with mopeds... if the oiks are chased, (quite a lot of the time they aren't), they take off their helmets and throw them away...at which point the pursuit is called off, because it's too dangerous..for them!....the person who has voluntarily driven off at speed and taken their own crash helmet off!

we do live in a strange old world
uninformed

"un-uniformed", surely? :)