What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Nsar
I'm right behind the examiner on this one

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1065766_lea...h

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - b308
I remember when I first started driving I did this in my instructors car and I got told off by the instructor, he told me that I should have either slowed down or if possible gone round the puddle - that was in 1974, seems things have not changed!
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - jase1
My first test flagged up an interesting one: I'd just turned left into a side street, and there was an old gent (pedestrian) behind a parked van and car just in front of me, about to cross the road -- he was between two parked cars. I slowed down almost to a stop -- but not completely. The pedestrian took a couple of steps back (but not back onto the pavement), gestured me to go, so I gave him a wave and was on my way.

Failed the test.

Explanation -- I apparently should have stopped completely, beeped my horn and waited until the guy stepped back onto the pavement before moving on.

Dangerous error logged.

Still disagree with instructor after 15 years of driving.

Edited by jase1 on 08/09/2008 at 12:39

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Mapmaker
>>I'm right behind the examiner on this one

Only if he's a big chap, otherwise you'll both get splashed...

Quite. And I hope as it is reported as an accident that she failed to stop and exchange details, that the police will be along to do her for failing to stop. Given she admitted it in the paper, should be a doddle to get a conviction.

Anybody fancy reporting it to GMP?
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - jbif
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian

As you can get fined for doing it,

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=55969&...e

you should be failed for doing it.

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Optimist
Some years ago my wife was driving briskly down a country road we know well at dusk, when she came suddenly upon a flood and two policemen probably setting up flood warning notices.

She went through the flood creating the kind of splash you get on a water ride at a theme park.

The policemen disappeared and Mrs O thought that, on balance, it was best just to keep going.

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Altea Ego
I would swop three points for that any day.
>I spoke to a firm of driving instructor's with over 60 years experience and they had never heard of it.

Who are they? just so they can be avoided.

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - FotheringtonThomas
>I spoke to a firm of driving instructor's with over 60 years experience

OT, but who was this reply to? I can't see the article in this thread.
the woman who failed "spoke to the frim of instructors..." who had "never heard of it"
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Big Bad Dave
Her comment "didn't really think that much of it at the time" says it all.

Typical, arrogant, selfish dobber. I'd have failed her too.
"I spoke to a firm of driving instructor's with over 60 years experience and they had never heard of it.

Who are they? just so they can be avoided."

She's referring to Red Driving School, who have 240 drivers with three months experience. (All earning up to 30k)
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Lud
A farmer friend was on a grass verge beside an enormous puddle when he heard a vehicle approaching at speed. He recognised it, a Land Rover belonging to another farmer well known to him. Then he noticed it was accelerating towards the enormous puddle, and that the farmer at the wheel hat noticed his vulnerable situation and was grinning fiendishly.

All just knockabout bucolic fun, surely?

Edited by Lud on 08/09/2008 at 14:28

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - madf
Just above our house, the road has a large dip and then rises up a STEEEP hil. When it rains heavily the puddle is about 20cms deep by 5 metres long by 3 wide.
It's a 30 mph limit.

The number of drivers who go through the puddle with no evasive action at 40mph plus suggests that most people do not care.

I was cutting the hedge one day when the rain stopped and could not get out of the way in time.

Got totally - like totally - soaked by a Range Rover who just went through like he was pursued by the police...
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Galaxy
No Sympathy from me I'm afraid, the examiner was quite right!
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - gordonbennet
Quite right, fail.
Said something along the lines of teaching learners about the splash laws....give me strength....could try a course in common sense i suppose.

S'funny but i take a pride in never splashing anyone with my 6 axled truck, and watch in amazement as cars in front and behind me manage to cover some poor soul in a deluge, its only a matter of timing, road placement and a little thought, don't need a physics degree.

Same as usual you have to hit 'em in the pocket before it registers, 3 points, several hundred quid and cleaning and compo or clothing replacement for the victim(s), that would soon sharpen them up.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - nortones2
I followed a LR Discovery for a couple of miles recently, heading towards Preston. Driver went through each considerable puddle, even pulling to the kerb to get maximum "fun". However, he did avoid a puddle by an occupied bus stop, so clearly was reading the road. Unlike the silly cow in a hatch who drenched an older guy, just a mile further on! Some drivers just don't see beyond their bubble.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Bilboman
As my gran would have said (to most things in the 21st century): RIDICULOUS.
Would the learner also have failed for running over a sparrow?
Is a driver always going to be held liable if s/he fails to take avoiding action, however risky? What if there had been double white lines in the road? What if there had been nowhere to stop other than a double yellow line? Another chance to fail. Fantastic.
If the deliberate splashing of a pedestrian (by which I mean deliberately increasing speed or deliberately not slowing down where safe to do so) constitutes a "crash" according to the Examiner (was his surname Meldrew?), then let's see a test case for failing to stop after a "crash", assault, ABH, whatever, actually come to court.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Sandgrown
You shouldn't need to swerve across double white lines or stop on double yellows. In that situation slow down to a speed that doesn't cause a splash, and if you can't slow down in time you're going too fast, which itself is a good reason to fail a test.

Having said that, the other day I saw two people chatting on the pavement next to a large puddle on a busy road. Not the best place to stand, whatever the rights and wrongs.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Sandgrown
The young lady has just been on the regional TV news. Apparently she shouldn't have failed; she didn't see the puddle and "it was an accident".
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Robin Reliant
>> The young lady has just been on the regional TV news. Apparently she shouldn't have
failed; she didn't see the puddle and "it was an accident".

The type of person who makes an excuse like that quoted above were the ones that used to really irritate me when I was instructing. Too stupid and arrogant to accept they were wrong and blaming everyone but themselves. The puddle was there all the time, it didn't suddenly appear or jump out in front of her so she was guilty of not reading the road ahead at the very least.

I bet that when she does pass she goes on to be a poor driver with an attitude problem.
There are more issues here, and a ruthless, utterly pedantic no-win-no-fee lawyer would probably pursue the following arguments:
1. An uncleared puddle of oil on the road would be the responsibility of the local council and/or the spiller of the oil. Likewise a puddle of (rain)water suggests excessive camber, badly maintained road surface and/or poor drainage - again, council partly to blame.
2. A better course of action for a learner driver would be to reduce speed rather than to swerve round a puddle (if splash avoidance is the life threateningly crucial skill recent events suggest it is.) If push comes to shove (or rather, if plip comes to splash) it si better for a driver to continue on her course rather than make a sudden braking manouevre, which could cause more problems.
3. Is a pedestrian not at least partly responsible for keeping away from puddles or looking out for them?

"Is a pedestrian not at least partly responsible for keeping away from puddles or looking out for them?"

Most yes but I think the responsibility is 100% on the driver should that particular pedestrian be a member of the public who is deaf, partially sighted, partially disabled, too young, too old, too drunk or listening to his ipod. The driver is the guy with the big weapon, he holds all the cards and that's what road craft is all about.

In my opinion of course.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - daveyjp
Shortly after passing my test I thought hitting big puddles was fun, it was until I experienced aquaplaning on the left hand side only and almost totalled my dads car. I never did it again.

Large puddles on road verges can also hide large holes - not good for tyres, suspension etc etc, so best avoided.
The manchester Evening news has just updated its headline on this story to "Splash Test Dummy" which I suspect they rather wish they'd thought of at the beginning.

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - ifithelps
Who are they calling the dummy?

The driver, the examiner or the pedestrian?

Edited by ifithelps on 09/09/2008 at 10:40

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - borasport20
And interviewed on the morning news, the driver has said the puddle was 'unavoidable' - is there anything more to be said ?
Bilboman writes -
3. Is a pedestrian not at least partly responsible for keeping away from puddles or
looking out for them?

>>
The pedestrian's competence was not beeing tested, the car drivers was. She should have seen the standing water in time to safely take action to avoid splashing the person on the pavement.

After she had actually done so, she should have stopped and exchanged details with the pedestrian as she had commited a traffic offence and was liable for any damage to the pedestrians clothing.

As my gran would have said (to most things in the 21st century): RIDICULOUS.

Is unneccessarily splashing someone with mucky water, making them have to clean, perhaps dry clean, their clothes, being inconvenienced by having to go home to change, or perhaps causing other problems with things being carried, ridiculous? I don't think so.

Would the learner also have failed for running over a sparrow?

That has nothing whatsoever to do with this, has it.

Is a driver always going to be held liable if s/he fails to take avoiding
action however risky?

There should be no risk. Conditions should have been taken into account. That's at least partly why she was, quite properly, failed.

What if there had been double white lines in the road?

So what? That does not preclude taking avoiding action, or slowing down.

What if there had been nowhere to stop other than a double yellow line?

What need to even stop? None! Why do you mention all these irrelevant things?
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Waino
In the course of my work, I frequently find that I have to walk along country lanes with no pavement. Despite my hi-viz vest and attempts to keep as close to the verge as possible, few motorists show any consideration at all. And, I have to say, women drivers are the worst culprits.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Andrew-T
It's always more interesting coming to a thread like this late, when many others have had a go. My reaction to the reports was that it sounds like a Jobsworth, but as is often the case, we don't have all the details. There seems to be nothing specific in the Highway Code, so presumably the examiner used his skill and judgment to decide whether the driver was being careless or malicious, or whether it was simply unfortunate. After all, our roads are littered with potholes (as we are regularly reminded) so will be littered with puddles in wet weather. As a pedestrian (or cyclist) I have often cursed a driver for sousing my lower person, but one learns to anticipate that difficulty after a while.

Failed driving test? Not much to do with being in adequate control of a vehicle or awareness of road conditions, unless the soaked pedestrian was about to step into the road.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - pendulum
I take the examiner's side. On a test, she should have been showing what a competent and considerate driver she is, and splashing a pedestrian falls short.

I did once drench a man by speeding through an enormous puddle. I don't know what come over me. He just seemed to have a mean looking face that said "I deserve it".
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Jonathan {p}
Having this happen to my pregnant wife who was waiting to cross the road to sit a 3 hour exam for her masters, I have no sympathy for the fool of a driver.

Its good that she's had the decency to go the papers and get her picture splashed about (no pun intended), now all the driving examiners know her name and what she looks like.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - BazzaBear {P}
Since she claims to have not avoided the puddle because she didn't even see it, I think it was dead right to fail her! Maybe she should work on her observation skills before taking the next one.
...and this just in from our 24 hour rolling news centre

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1065960_pas...r

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - borasport20
If she was good enough to pass (and she thinks she was) why does she have to spend money on more lessons ?
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Westpig
learner driver taking 3rd test either fails to spot or totally ignores puddle in road, thereby soaking a pedestrian, commits offence under s.3 Road Traffic Act and fails her test

what's the problem?...other than her wilful unwillingness to admit her own failings and accept she is a master of her own destiny. How pig ignorant, rude and selfish this woman must be.

the last time i knew: "I didn't realise", "I'm too thick to know", "I don't normally give two hoots about other people" or "who cares" are not forms of defence under the Road Traffic Act

i've had to re-write this post 3 times, to not bluntly state my opinion of this woman in a manner that would be unacceptable to the site rules
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Fullchat
WP. Well worth the extra investment of time! :-))
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - tyro
As Robin Reliant says,
>>I bet that when she does pass she goes on to be a poor driver with an attitude problem.

Being a good driver is not just about knowing the rules of the road and having skills, it is also (and just as importantly) about attitude and courtesy. Splashing a pedestrian is extremely discourteous. The poor excuses she made for her discourtesy shows an attitude problem.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Andrew-T
>Splashing a pedestrian is extremely discourteous.<

I suggest that splashing a pedestrian deliberately is extremely discourteous. I don't believe it is reasonable to demand that this event is avoidable under all conditions. In the case under discussion, we just aren't sure.

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/09/2008 at 16:29

I don't believe it is
reasonable to demand that this event is avoidable under all conditions. In the case under
discussion we just aren't sure.

The examiner was!
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Group B
This is getting some coverage. Its now on the front page of Yahoo.co.uk, with a video clip provided by ITN!

snipurl.com/3ollu (may show an ad before the report).

Quote: "...I feel that I should have passed... ...to be told that I'd failed for something like that, and not something to do with my actual driving..."

Attitude problem? You failed, like thousands of other people do, learn from it, and shut up..

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 09/09/2008 at 18:35

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - rtj70
When I learned (very good instructor with BSM at the time - also taught Richard and Judy's children according to him)... I was told the obvious things like:

- Splashing someone like this is illegal so don't do it (you could always slow down/stop if you cannot go around)
- Traffic lights going from green the red... the amber also means stop not speed up.
- Approaching a set of lights and they have been green for sometime - so assume they will be changing to red when you get there.
- The list goes on

Having said that he did once try getting me to reverse around a corner in Whalley Range so he could embarass me because of the "lady of the night" (although it was day) there. I refused.

If someone cannot think that going through a puddle and splashing somoene could not be avoided.... what else won't they avoid?
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Harleyman
Am I right in thinking that the phrase, "Read the road ahead" is still drummed into trainee drivers today, as it was with me in 1977?

If so, she plainly didn't do so, and therefore failed on that alone. Even if she could not have possibly avoided the hazard (for such it is) she shold have slowed down to negotiate it.

She did wrong, she failed; simple as that.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - sir_hiss
Think I might start standing on pavements next to big puddles and watch the compensation roll in :)
Fotherington Thomas...
I seem to have struck a chord. Rather a painful one, judging from your reaction. If I may explain my stance... I argued that there are many more issues at stake than a "simple splash" and, in playing Devil's advocate as I did, I was merely attempting to raise some debate on what is quite a "deep" (pun intended) subject.
I did point out that a casual, fortuitous splash is less grave than the driver who deliberately or carelessly speeds up or fails to slow down. When it rains, folk get wet, and the odd minor splash from a car, a shop awning, a leaky gutter, a passing dog... is almost to be expected!
The atrocious state of some of our roads is worthy of mention - large, deep puddles in the road simply should not be commonplace in 21st century Britain! A hole large enough to hold a small lake is a hole which could easily cause a cyclist or pedestrian to topple in the dry, or ruin the few car suspension systems not already shot to pieces by humps.
I was only saying.....

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - L'escargot
I was taught (by a driving school) to make every effort to avoid splashing pedestrians.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - colino
Despite the fact she failed the test and has had the many arguments thrown at her why this is correct, she appears to be oblivious to her lack of common courtesy and awareness of other road users. While I think many of us can settle in to a pattern of car v pedestrian/bus/white van/taxi etc., her bad attitude now would indicate she has all the bad habits but without any skill, knowledge or experience to base it on.
I think UK drivers in general regard pedestrians as annoying temporary road furniture and feel angelic when we do something positive for them. In the states for example (not necessarily the home of the thinking, skilled or dedicated driver) my relatives commonly brake to a halt to allow jay-walkers to sally forth even in car-parks etc.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Screwloose

I've long held the opinion that some people are psychologically unsuited to holding a driving licence.

Here being a case in point.....
In the states for example (not necessarily the home of the thinking skilled or dedicated driver) my relatives commonly brake to a halt to allow jay-walkers to sally forth even in car-parks etc.

they are remarkably polite and reasonable with other road users aren't they...apart from when you 'filter' on a motorcycle!
jay-walkers

What is one of those, please?
FT,

American term for someone crossing the road in an incorrect place. Can be an offence i.e. the pedestrian commits an offence.
Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - L'escargot
American term ............

No Americanisms please, we're mostly British.

Edited by L'escargot on 11/09/2008 at 08:17

Jaywalker is an American term dating from the early 1920s. A "jay" is an inexperienced person and the term was applied to pedestrians who crossed the road without looking out for cars, which were obviously a much less common hazard then.
At risk of going off on a tangent here, references to "americanisms" make me laugh or cringe (often both), since so many expressions we use nowadays are of American origin. Parking a car, ex-wife, divorcee, boss, the list is endless. Many so-called americanisms are not even American in origin (including many particularly reviled words like garbage and trash.)
We may be "mostly British", but look how many backroomers cannot accurately spell licence/license; practice/practise and unintentionally use the American spelling.
Following American rules of spelling is, of course, better than following no rules at all. As for a'p'o's't'r'o'p'h'e's'...

Edited by Bilboman on 11/09/2008 at 12:05

Learner failed test for splashing pedestrian - Alanovich
Anti-Americanismism (sic) is even dafter when you consider the fact that American English is actually an older and purer form of English than that which is spoken in Britain today. Since the language was exported across the Atlantic, it has changed less in idiom and accent than it has in its native land. Espcially true of those (me included) who speak with an RP or Queen's English accent - this is the most contrived and artificial form of English, and a farily recent development in the language. It's certainly newer than American English.
No Americanisms[sic] please, we're mostly British.

In reply to L'escargot:
Why the intolerance, especially when it is quite clear from the text that the word is being used in connection with America?
"In the states[sic] for example ... brake to a halt to allow jay-walkers to sally forth even in car-parks etc. "

.. consider the fact that American English is actually an older and purer form of English than that which is spoken in Britain today.

In reply to Alanovich.
Quite true. In fact it holds true for many emigrant cultures [Pommie-Australians, French-Canadians, Indo-Pakistani-British, etc. where the people who have left their native countries still hang on to an original language which has long changed in their country of origin].

Thanks. I have heard the term, but was unsure what it meant - so there are special places to cross roads!! Seems odd. I'm not sure it *can* be an offence to cross a road in the UK (motorwayes excepted, perhaps).
... so there are special places to cross roads!!

I find that Americans rarely walk anywhere. When I do so on visits there, at times I am the only pedestrian around!

Anyway take care if you visit the States:
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6251431.stm
"It is a cautionary tale for any traveller - distinguished historian Felipe Fernandez-Armesto tried to cross the road while in Atlanta for the conference of the American Historical Association, only to find himself in handcuffs and surrounded by armed police. "

That story has comments by readers of incidents and rules that apply in other countries. One person claims that:

"Your article is incorrect when it states "there is no such offence in the UK". Jaywalking is an offence in Northern Ireland (part of the UK), although it is rarely enforced. The enforcing of such is at the discretion of the observing officer. Enforcement usually results in the issuing of a £30 non-endorsable fixed penalty notice, however, may result in arrest and court prosecution eg: for failing to provide a satisfactory name and/or address. David McInnes, Belfast "

p.s. History of UK pedestrian crossing:

www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/pedestriancrossings/5.sht...l

"Regulations were brought in to say where they could and where they couldn't go - and a four-inch-thick red line was painted along the kerb and over the road at crossings. If a pedestrian crossed the red line between 7am and 7pm, they were liable for a £20 fine. It was a British jaywalking law."

Edited by jbif on 11/09/2008 at 14:18