What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
painted bumper re-finish problems - Chrome
Whilst on a visit to my parents last week a builder's van backed into my car (he was doing work for my dad!) .

He put an unsightly 3 inch gash in the painted front n/s plastic bumper.

I had it sorted on Tuesday at one of the franchise chip fix outlets, they rubbed it down & filled and re-sprayed the side of the bumper. The bumper is a metallic finish. I was pleased with the finish when I picked the car up later in the day.

Since then I have noticed that the finish has partly developed small craters which develop into small white bumps in wet weather (lots of that recently), these disappear when it drys out leaving the small craters!

Can anyone with paint experience tell me what has happened here so I can tell the paint firm when I ring them tomorrow, I live some distance away so any remedial work will have to be booked in for a couple of weeks time.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/09/2008 at 19:52

Painted Bumper re-finish problems - Simon
It difficult to say without seeing it but has it blistered?
Painted Bumper re-finish problems - Chrome
No blistering at all.
Painted Bumper re-finish problems - Dynamic Dave
Sounds to me like it's reacting with whatever they left underneath before spraying. Whatever is wrong though, it's not up to you to provide a diagnosis - it's up to them to investigate and put right.
Painted Bumper re-finish problems - Another John H
I'd argue that there is a hole from the back of the bumper, where the gash was, and the filler used is porous.
Painted Bumper re-finish problems - Chrome
A quick update - I've just had the edge of the bumper repainted.

The finish is pretty good and I am happy with the result - the workshop had it all day on Monday and I think they have done their best . They used a barrier coat and had several goes at getting it perfect. It still has a couple of tiny 'dimples' where the reaction persists. I think once the surface layer of the plastic is removed the layers beneath are maybe a bit unstable? The workshop say that this is a new problem to them re: bumpers but did mention that a similiar problem exists with the old shape Renault Megane Cabriolet rear spoilers doing the same thing.

Bring back proper car bumpers.........

Painted Bumper re-finish problems - stevekay
Proper car bumpers? the last vehicle I recall with "proper car bumpers" was early 2000 Freelanders. In a fit of pique my dau ploughed hers into an ex's car and wrote his off and drove hers away - same bumpers on today with no need for paint to make them look ok. I did read that Wrangler were bringing out a very basic Jeep with leaf springs and railway lines for bumpers. Anybody got details?
Painted Bumper re-finish problems - Alby Back
Think it was on 5th Gear this week. Just a suggestion, but maybe not one for your daughter to watch !

;-)