What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Is it any Good? - gramar
My wife needs a replacement for her aging Kia Pride. We've discounted the new Panda - too small and bouncy with over sensitive steering and also the Picanto - not enough go.

On Sunday we tested an 04 plate Ignis - liked it for size and found the engine has real zest above 3,800 RPM but they're hard to locate s/hand in East Anglia. Does any reader have an Ignis - would you recommend one or should we look at other cars?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/08/2008 at 11:17

SUZUKI IGNIS - ANY GOOD? - movilogo
I own a Suzuki Ignis 1.3 GL (2006 5-dr model) over a year. It's very good car. Acceleration is dramatic for such a small car. Just came back from Cornwall (900 miles round trip) in it with me, my wife, friend and his wife.

Because of its cooperatively high seating position, long journeys are not uncomfortable.

I get 40 MPG on average. With seats folded you've a good amount of space inside.

So far no issue apart from a broken synchromesh in 2nd gear which was replaced under warranty.

On negative side, ride is bit hard because of stiff suspension. Mk II Ignis uses same chain cam driven engine (M13A/M15A) as of Suzuki Swift. In fact, when I bought it, I basically wanted to buy Swift but ended up with Ignis as it was cheaper and more spacious.

Ignis is hard to come by as Suzuki did not make too many of them (though they are quite popular in central Europe). However, Suzuki dealers should have good number of them.

I think Ignis is getting popularity now! In my locality, a year back only I had one but now, I see three more.

Service cost around £220 if done by main dealer.

Is it any Good? - Bagpuss
We looked at the Suzuki Ignis/ Subaru Justy as a possible replacement for my wife's Ford Ka. My wife particularly liked the high driving position, the good visibility and the very compact overall dimensions. I quite liked the grown up feel for such a small car. The jury is still out though as my wife has now decided she likes the Smart which also has a high driving position and even compacter dimensions but can't be accused of having any kind of grown up driving feel.

I have subsequently read on the german Internet about cases of rusty sills and wheel arches on relatively young Ignis/ Justy models, so might be worth checking if buying used. I would personally avoid the 4wd version as it seems totally pointless.
Suzuki Ignis - is it any Good? - FotheringtonThomas
I drove one an original Ig a few years ago (a yellow one), and it was indeed good.
Is it any Good? - gramar
Thanks for all your thoughts - I will keep a look out for another suitable Ignis - but I'm a little concerned about rusting wheel arches and sills as we tend to keep our cars several years.
Is it any Good? - jase1
Thanks for all your thoughts - I will keep a look out for another suitable
Ignis - but I'm a little concerned about rusting wheel arches and sills as we
tend to keep our cars several years.

I believe Suzuki do a waxoyl treatment at a reasonable rate at the dealerships -- get that sorted every few years and I doubt rust will be too much of a problem until the car gets old.
Is it any Good? - movilogo
Won't it be covered by 12-yr anti-perforation warranty?

Is it any Good? - jase1
sq

Standard six-year on these IIRC.

Edited by Pugugly on 01/09/2008 at 21:02

Is it any Good? - movilogo
6 yr only on Jimny. Rest Suzuki models are covered by 12-yr antiperforation warranty.

Though I'm not sure if it is same rule for pre-2006 cars.
Is it any Good? - retgwte
female friend was given a v good part ex value for her 4 x 4 version when she came to swap it, so maybe that version has its pros in value retention, or maybe she was just lucky

i loved the sport version and nearly bought one a few times, very under rated

for the bog standard one though doesnt make sense for me against a panda

Is it any Good? - gramar
The Panda we tried was a fresh demo with only 13 miles on the clock (1.2 Dynamic) as we don't buy new it would have been better for us to have been able to test one with a few thousand miles under its belt and I'd also like top try the diesel version which is well rated. Currently I drive an T reg VW Polo TDi estate which still goes well but is starting to show its age needing a few parts replaced other than the usual service items - nothing drastic just rear shocks and front discs and pads - all by the way original at 100k.

I'm undecided whether I should keep the car or change it too and if whcih car do I go for?
Is it any Good? - jase1
Entirely a matter for you to decide that one gramar. Your Polo sounds fine to me -- a 1999 VW still has a few years ahead of it yet, and if it were me I'd be inclined to eek every last ounce of value out of it, so unless you can find a family member to donate it to I personally would keep it.
Is it any Good? - oilrag
So would I. We had a Polo in the family for 17 years, it must have lost car salesmen a fair bit of profit in that time.
Is it any Good? - jase1
Same applies to that Kia in all honesty. You haven't mentioned how knackered it is, but if the answer isn't "totally" I'd keep that as well ;)
Is it any Good? - gramar
Jase

The Kia is mechasnically fine it'st he body that's going. W reg with rust breaking out in several areas. notably the entire front edge of the bonnet is bubbling from under the paint. The worst area being around the bonnet catch where it has all but rotted through. With a trade in value of no more than £300 and unlikely to find a home privately for any more its not going to be viable for much longer.

I've been thinking, having had my Polo serviced yesterday, that, maybe my wfe should use the Polo (she does 6k per year) we sell the Kia and find me another car.

I need comfort, decent engine in a medium size car (Focus, Fabia, Civic, Golf, Bora) good economy (read Diesel - I commute 82 miles a day) and good reliability. My budget is limited though to 4-5k. Any suggestions appreciated.
Is it any Good? - jase1
That's dreadful. If I owned an 8-year-old car that was rotten I'd be beating down the manufacturer's door.

But I have heard that the later Prides were very poor for some reason in this regard so it doesn't entirely surprise me.
Is it any Good? - gramar
I've had a eureka moment and decided. I'm going to look at a 56 reg Kia Rio 1.5 diesel with 10k miles being offerd for only £4995 by a local Fiat dealer and if it's as good as I expect it to be bite his hand off!
I test drove a Kia Rio 1.4 petrol a year ago and loved the car but not THAT engine. The car suits all my needs and I have faith in the newer Kia models as indeed I did with our earlier Kia Pride, a 1995 M reg that covered over 80k trouble free miles AND wasn't going rusty. Our current Kia will be sold for buttons and SWMBO gets my old Polo - job done and thank for all you thoughts on this topic.
Is it any Good? - stunorthants26
The Rio diesel is one of those sleepers that nobody thinks of but it actually gets pretty good reviews, so if you do go ahead with it, keep us informed.
Is it any Good? - gramar
Stu,

You asked to be informed - I tried out the said Kia Rio today. Whilst it was a smooth quiet running engine it seemed to have not a lot of thrust from low revs. As soon as it reached 3k it wanted to take off. I'm used to and prefer a more linear torque curve that starts from lower down. I was also unimpressed with it's paint quality and general overall finish. I suspect it won't be very durable unike the Polo. The salesman wouldn't take any offers on it despite it having been 'in stock' for 187 days!! So I had no hesitation and on instinct I walked away.

Later this afternoon at another garage I tried out a Citroen Xsara HDI 110 and loved it. It is a much better car has a decent stereo sound and proper climate control so I've bought that instead. Much more my kind of car and it was cheaper too. It will now keep the venerable Polo TDI company and we'll part with the Kia Pride.
Is it any Good? - stunorthants26
Enjoy and thanks for the update! Let us know how the ownership experience pans out!