What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Jazz - disbeliever
Having no spare wheel (crazy) no proper auto or CVT high price I can not see the new Jazz selling as well as the old flimsy dangerous one. No Power of Dreams only NIGHTMARES of Safety (old model)
New Jazz - Sulphur Man
Can you qualify 'dangerous' please.

The in-laws and brother in-law drove to John Lewis in High Wycombe on Saturday to pick up a 50" plasma tv. The did it in a Jazz. Yes, the current Jazz can swallow three adults and a packaged 50" television. The new one has got big, big footsteps to fill...... Fantastic car.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 26/08/2008 at 10:40

New Jazz - tawse
If it was available in the showrooms today so that I could figure out if I could fit into it comfortably I would consider it. Then again, you can buy a 1 yr old Yaris for about half the price of a new Jazz.

My local dealer says he won't have one in until end of Oct which will become mid to late Nov most likely so it has ruled itself out for me anyhow.

I think they will sell like hot-cakes. It looks smart, has a core of Jazz lovers out there already and I suspect it will lure in lots more people. As I say, I suspect it will not have enough height and leg room for a 6 foot plus person like myself - saw a US review on Youtube where they said it was only suitable for up to 6 foot tall - but I guess lots of semi-retired and retireds will buy them.

New Jazz - CGNorwich
The Jazz is certainly a cleverly packaged car but it also a very expensive one. At the end of the day if you want a car that can carry larger loads than the average super mini it cheaper just to buy a slightly larger car. An added benefit is you then get something that is more comfortable on the motorway than the Jazz and hopefully has better steering
New Jazz - Bill Payer
Having no spare wheel (crazy) no proper auto or CVT high price I can not
see the new Jazz selling as well as the old flimsy dangerous one. No Power
of Dreams only NIGHTMARES of Safety (old model)

You're newly registered and you've now posted several messages slagging off Honda and its products - Hmm...wonder why? Sacked ex-employee?
New Jazz - disbeliever
My main gripe with the Jazz is that the top edge of the front door is not finished properly it is very jagged and dangerous, I nearly lost an eye and marked my face badly, the same awful danerous finish is on the top edge of the front door of the Civic at 5ft 10" found it almost impossible to enter the Civic without banging my head on the roof. I had a very slight accident in the Jazz and the door buckled very badly due to its flimsy construction.
New Jazz - tawse
I nearly lost an eye
and marked my face badly the same awful danerous finish is on the top edge
of the front door of the Civic at 5ft 10" found it almost impossible to
enter the Civic without banging my head on the roof. I had a very slight
accident in the Jazz and the door buckled very badly due to its flimsy construction.

I had a similar experience to you in a Honda dealer when looking at both the Honda and the Civic. Banged my head no both trying to get it and the Civic came dangerously close to my eye as I went through the motion of getting in.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and have concluded that Hondas, with the exception of the new CRV, are not made for tall Northern Europeans.
New Jazz - Bill Payer
I am 6 foot 2 inches tall and have concluded that Hondas with the exception
of the new CRV are not made for tall Northern Europeans.

Well I'm exactly 6ft and I can't recall ever having a problem - and ours is often parked quite tight against a wall - I wear glasses and it would be easy to catch them, but never done it, perhaps they make me a little more careful?

Certainly the current Jazz seat doesn't push back very far - it's fine for me, but I can well imagine that someone a little taller would struggle.
New Jazz - stevekay
I wouldn't buy a car without a spare wheel - full size or otherwise. A colleague split the tyre wall on a kerb in his Kia Picanto. Goo bottle and pump complete waste of space. We had to borrow a jack and wheelbrace, take the wheel off, find a tyre shop, drive there and back and refit the wheel. A ten minute job took us over 90 minutes - good job we weren't busy and it was a Tuesday morning when everywhere is open.
New Jazz - Altea Ego
Having had a car with no spare wheel, just a pump and a silly bottle of goo, and having had a flat tyre, i would not consider a private purchase of a car with such an arrangement.
New Jazz - jase1
Agreed -- but that also extends to cars with the spare on the underside of the car.

By the time you get around to using it the tyre is usually perished and therefore potentially dangerous -- if it hasn't been nicked by scroats.

Also "space-saver" tyres.

Answer of course in either case is to keep a proper spare in the boot -- but this is only an option when the car was cheap enough in the first place to mitigate the lost luggage space.
New Jazz - gordonbennet
I wouldn't want a car without a proper spare either, and i don't mean a bicycle tyre either.
But we are undoubtedly a peculiar breed here, and maybe not representative of the modern car buying public in general.
How often have we passed a vehicle with flat tyre and the driver, often sturdy looking chaps looking on as the AA or similar changes the thing for them.
If an increasing number of drivers seem incapable of changing a wheel, might just as well save the weight and room the spare takes up, and just call a tyre breakdown service instead should the toy-town repair kit not work.

I wonder who will be the first of the breakdown services to offer tyre replacements (or at least the fitting of) as part of their comprehensive package?
New Jazz - jase1
To be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing the goo *and* a proper spare tyre fitted to cars.

I have seen the goo work just fine before, and if it means that I can be away in 30 seconds rather than ten minutes in blizzard conditions (I live out in the hills in the North of the country) then that suits me just fine.

Even if it's just so that I can get the car to a more sheltered spot.
New Jazz - Altea Ego
How do you stand with the breakdown services if your car has a slashed tyre and just a bottle of goo? I thought you had to have a spare or you got charged? Do they have a case to charge you a higher premium?

Edited by Altea Ego on 26/08/2008 at 12:59

New Jazz - Bill Payer
How often have we passed a vehicle with flat tyre and the driver often sturdy
looking chaps looking on as the AA or similar changes the thing for them.

Some companies don't allow it, especially on motorways, and there is talk amongst fleet managers of removing tools from cars to stop employees even trying. If you've got a decent suit on then you really don't want to go crawling about looking for jacking points etc.

(and I speak as someone who changed a wheel in the middle of a contraflow once, when I hit a brick and bent the wheel. Still can't believe I changed it there!).
New Jazz - gordonbennet
Some companies don't allow it especially on motorways

And we wonder why the country's in a state.

As for you changing tyre on the contraflow, difficult to see how you could have done better, you didn't have to wait for a breakdown van or the arrival of 500 cones and strobe flashing lights and the ensuing traffic jam, and you inconvenienced as few people as possible as a result, nowt wrong with that as far as i can see.
New Jazz - CGNorwich
I agree that I would uncomfortable without a spare tyre in the boot but I don't see the problem with space savers unless you really do spend your life in the wilderness . They enable you to get to your destination or repairer under your own steam albeit at a reduced speed and that is surely a reasonable compromise for most people. You have to bear in mind the failry remote possiblity of a puncture in the first place.
New Jazz - Collos25
My accord originally fitted with the compressor and gunge was replaced upon purchase with a proper alloy wheel and tyre plenty of room in the well,the quality of the compressor is astounding must have cost much more than a steel wheel and tyre plus there is all the other bits of tools and trim. I wouldn't fancy driving down the autobahn for long stretches on a space saver if you puncture after 16.00 on a Saturday in Germany then thats it till Monday.
New Jazz - CGNorwich
if you puncture after 16.00 on a Saturday in Germany then thats it till Monday.

Well I did say unless you live in the wilderness :-)
New Jazz - Collos25
Your not far wrong Germany reverts to a pleasant place to be after 16.00 on a Saturday no trucks no shops except bakers you can't even wash your car but plenty of bars and cafes a civilised country.
New Jazz - CGNorwich
You mean there are still people around who can organise their lives so that they can survive without shoppng for a day and can find other things to do to fill their time - Absolutely amazing.
New Jazz - Bill Payer
survive without shoppng for a day

We went to Brussels recently and Mrs BP wasn't very happy that most of the shops were shut on Sunday!

I must admit it felt quite weird - just something we take for granted now in the UK.
New Jazz - CGNorwich
just something we take for granted now in the UK.

I still miss being able to walk around Norwich for one day a week without the traffic and throngs of shoppers. Sunday shopping has not done a lot for the family lives of shopworkers either.
New Jazz - john96
Ref Germany, not quite true.
Plenty of shops open here till 5-6 pm on a Sat, and all supermarkets till 8-10 pm 6 days a week. Sunday is still a day of rest though, with only (some) bakers open in the morning.
New Jazz - tyro
Getting back to the subject in hand, I agree that the most important and remarkable sentence in HJ's review is "There is no spare wheel, just a tyre-fix kit for minor punctures, though some kind of spare may be made optional."

NO spare wheel? MAY be made optional? I find this strange - though, perhaps not surprising, as Honda seem to have developed a dislike for spare wheels, and an infatuation with cans of goo, for the Jazz is not the first model which has been thus equipped.

However, when I read HJ's driving impressions, I encountered another shock. "To get the best out of the new engines they need to be run on 97-99Ron Super-unleaded rather than 95Ron Premium Unleaded." OK, the engines are very fuel-efficient, and I am sure they will run well enough on ordinary unleaded, but I would still think hard before buying a car with such expensive preferences. Fair enough if one is paying big money for a high performance car - but for a super-mini that gets from 0 to 60 in 13.0 seconds, this is rather surprising.
New Jazz - sajid
My impression on reading hj review of the jazz is mixed. First of all, limited engine choices, No 1.5 ivtec, no diesel, why did they ditch the idsi 1.4/1.2 of the old jazz, i thought that the latest jazz wil incoperate both idsi and ivtec i was dissapointed.

The economy figures are better than the old jazz 1.4 and 1.2 engine sizes, but their performance is very similar to the old jazz.

size wise it gained a few mm but also gained weight, i also agree with the opinion that a space saver tyre would have been more practical, am also waiting for honda to release the 1.2 hybrid and see how that will fare.

i have a 1.4 se jazz, a 2003 version and am looking forward in test driving the new jazz when it does come out in october/november.

Why the embargo of driving impressions?