What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Wobble debate. - rsh
Continuing with the debate with wobbling Mondeo's I would like a serious debate on this as I get an unpleasant feel when my Mondeo does an unexpected wobble at above 45mph on an average road bend. I have a 55 plate registered January 2006 Mondeo 1.8LX which I purchased in January 2007 from a Ford dealer. My concern is that when I am driving on a motorway or open dual carriageway I feel as if the car is dipping on the front offside which gives me an alarming feel and I have an immediate temptation to slow the car down even though I am already well under the speed limit. At first I thought it was the tyres but I changed my front to Good Year NCT six months ago at Kwik Fit and changed my rear to Continental Contact Sport 2 less than two weeks ago and there is no change which was a massive let down and still need for concern.

I am also aware of the heavy, slow, side to side wobble usually when I turn into my drive but this particular wobble does not bother me as at parking speed my heart is hardly going to be in my mouth. My father noticed this heavy wobble the day after I bought the car but I ignored him with a little contempt as I thought he was merely having a pop at me for not seeking his advice on what make of car to go for. Not for the first time in my life I realise much later that he was right and more aware than I.

I am wondering how much of this is down to the Mondeo's very high all round suspension especially the rear. When I purchased the Mondeo it was just over a year old but had two owners which makes me wonder now on why it changed hands so quick.

I would like some focused debate on this as some driver's are unable to feel as comfortable in wobbling car as others; similar to some passengers inside a plane get an unpleasant feel at take-off.

Regards

Edited by Pugugly on 20/08/2008 at 00:00

Mondeo 55; wobble - Lud
What do you mean by 'wobble' rsh? Does the car dart in one direction or another in mid-bend when you accelerate or decelerate, or is it a vibration or 'shake'?

Doesn't sound good anyway. Get the dealer, or a sensible independent if you know one, to have a proper look at the front suspension, steering and wheel alignment. An almost new Mondeo shouldn't behave in this untoward way. There is damage or serious maladjustment.
Mondeo 55; wobble - Alby Back
Strongly suggest you get that car to a Ford dealer ASAP. There is clearly something wrong with it which may still be covered by warranty. Even if it isn't, it is patently needing attention. Mondeos don't normally "wobble".
Mondeo 55; wobble - cheddar
Agree with Humph, it is waranteed.

The only suggestion I have is rear subframe bushes, mine went at about 3 years / 100k miles (only effects saloon and hatch, not estate) though I would have thought that 2006 models would have later spec bushes from new.

Handling should be sharp and responsive, mine is at 129k miles.
Mondeo 55; wobble - Marc
I had an early Mondeo 3 1.8 LX on an 01Y plate and it did nothing like this (mine was on Conti Sport Contacts after replacing the OE Conti Premium Contacts) so I don't think this problem is indicative of the model - get it checked out.
Mondeo 55; wobble - cheddar
Why "Mondeo wobble debate"? And why not move to technical? More chance of a solution or common experiences there surely.
Mondeo 55; wobble - spikeyhead {p}
My mondeo has 152k miles on it and still drives sweetly. No wobble at all.
Mondeo 55; wobble - mustangman
Difficult to know what the OP means by wobble, but to me this sounds like a problem either with alingment or some sort of damage or assembly problem.

(I don't think he mentioned having the wheel alingment checked, this would surely be job 1.)

Further to this I would have an "expert" look for things like bent driveshafts, damaged suspension, badly repaired accident damage, even loose engine mounts. There must be something fundamentally wrong with this car ..........
Mondeo 55; wobble - yorkiebar
Agree with cheddar.

Rear subframe and bushes need proper looking at!

Known problem area with faults as described.