What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.8 Strange engine bay noise on acceleration - Drewey
Hi there

Got a strange problem with my Focus.

The car drives ok but after 5 mins of driving I get a whiring/buzzing sound which rises in pitch as the car accelerates. If i take my foot off the gas the sound goes. The sound's not especially loud but it shouldn't be there and it's got me worried.

When the car's stationary it ticks over nicely and revs normal, with no odd sounds.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated

slt

Edited by Pugugly on 14/08/2008 at 23:49

1999 1.8 Strange engine bay noise on acceleration - Screwloose
Drewey

Have a good feel of the rubber breather hose that runs from low on the inlet manifold round to the breather valve on the front of the engine. They tend to collapse inwards.
1999 1.8 Strange engine bay noise on acceleration - Drewey
Took my car to a garage for a cambelt change yesterday and took the opportunity to ask the mechanic about the noise. He listened to the car as I drove and told me the noise was my gearbox.

He told me he had heard worse and that it was nothing to worry about.

The noise is annoying me, but I'm guessing trying to cure it may be costly?
1999 1.8 Strange engine bay noise on acceleration - Dave_TD
Difficult to diagnose without hearing it, but I had a buzzing sound coming from under the bonnet of my Octavia under acceleration only when warm, and it turned out to be the air cleaner housing resonating at certain frequencies. The cure was to wedge a piece of sponge foam between it and the inner wing.

Hth,

Edited by Webmaster on 21/09/2008 at 13:38

1999 1.8 Strange engine bay noise on acceleration - djmontara
if it really is ur gearbox, it means the bearings are gone... ive got a similar problem regarding my gearbox. got a 1.8 focus too.. my input shaft bearing is naff and so when the clutch is up, i can hear a whirring coming from the engine.. but infact its coming from the transmission.. when u engage the clutch, the whirring goes away..
its supposedly a common problem with the focuses.. but it doesnt affect driveability.. took it in to mr clutch and they said just keep using it until it gets to the point where u cant engage gear anymore lol! cos if ur bearings are gone.. the only thing u can do is change the gearbox.. and mr clutch quoted me £864 including labour.. so i thought.. ill just live with the whirring noise..

hope that explains a bit!

regards,

matt