What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Do people really care about warranty? - movilogo
According to stats here
www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?articleid=17852

Kia and Hyundai's market share (based on no of cars sold in July 2008) % are 1.47 and 1.30 respectively.

Compared to, Ford 15%, Vauxhall 14%, VW 8%, BMW/Peugeot/Toyota/Renault/Audi all hovering around 5%

Citoren [3.74%] sold more than Mercedes [3.38%]

I don't know how fleet sales can skew the numbers though.
Do people really care about warranty? - stunorthants26
I read somewhere that Hyundai/Kia are the 5th largest car maker, so they must be doing something right given that they were nowhere 20 years ago.

The irony with warranties is that the cars that need them most usually have the shortest warranty period.
Do people really care about warranty? - Ben 10
The extended warranties offered do look enticing.
Though to benefit from a seven year warranty you will have to have the vehicle regularly serviced. Which they will make good money from in terms of parts and labour. If the mechanicals are as reliable as they are cracked up to be, then it is an expensive way to have an oil change for seven years.
If you buy a lemon, you should be quids in.
Do people really care about warranty? - midlifecrisis
And Hyundai want £200 for an oil and filter change on a Getz!
Do people really care about warranty? - carl_a

Expensive, but check out what Mitsubishi want to service a Colt!
Do people really care about warranty? - MichaelR

I pay a good £60 less than that for an oil and filter change on my BMW 5 Series, at BMW!

Why people buy these cheap plastic crap cars I've no idea - they don't work out much cheaper to run. It's pointless.

Buying a Hyundai Getz is like selling your house and living in a tent. Yea, you save money, but not enough to be worth suffering for.
Do people really care about warranty? - L'escargot
I assume that the thread title is connected with the fact that Kia and Hyundai offer a longer warranty than a lot of makes, but I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make. I certainly care about the warranty with a new car, but it wouldn't influence my choice of make and model. There are far more factors to consider than the length of the warranty.

Edited by L'escargot on 08/08/2008 at 15:33

Do people really care about warranty? - DP
I agree with L'escargot.

If a car I really liked had a 5/7 yr warranty then great. Warranty length would be no more than a mild influence in the decision though, and certainly would never be a deal maker (or breaker).

There is no such thing as an inherently unreliable mainstream car any more.

Cheers
DP
Do people really care about warranty? - gordonbennet
I should imagine the breakdown of registrations between company/fleet and private purchases would even those figures out a little (if those figures are already there, apologies).

The warranty would make a huge difference to the long term purchaser, if a buyer replaces every 3 years then it probably makes little difference, but someone wanting a car for 5 or longer years would probably lean more towards the longer term warranty, i would.

Do people really care about warranty? - gmac
The warranty is something to consider if you will have the car for five years plus but not really relevant if the nearest dealer is a two hundred mile round trip away.

As usual many things are involved in the car buying process.

Nice idea though to be able to buy a two or three year old car, let someone else take the biggest hit in depreciation and still be able to benefit from upto five years manufacturer warranty.
Do people really care about warranty? - Bill Payer
The warranty would make a huge difference to the long term purchaser if a buyer
replaces every 3 years then it probably makes little difference but someone wanting a car
for 5 or longer years would probably lean more towards the longer term warranty i
would.

I wonder if manufacturers shy away from longer warranties as they remove one of the reasons to change cars at 3 years? If you're fully covered for 5-7 years then why bother, and why take the depreciation hit, changing vehicles?

On the other hand, surely the longer warranty would boost residual values and make changing less costly? Although that might have the effect of causing people to sell privately, taking used car business away from fanchised dealers, who would add a warranty to a used car anyway.
Do people really care about warranty? - stevekay
The main reason I bought a HYundai Getz was the warranty. Forget badge snobbery and look what you get for your money and Hyundai is as good as anything else on the market. Buy a one year old Getz like I did and save 2400 on the list price (5990 for an 11month old !.4 GSi 5dr) and you've got a car with 4 years warranty for less than 6k with a/c, e/w. abs etc etc. Its a no-brainer. The servicings on a par with other main dealer costs but it cuts hassle if any warranty work is necessary. Selling on? I gave my last one to my daughter when it was 5 years old - she thinks its lovely and she'll probably get this one when its time is up.
Do people really care about warranty? - movilogo
as they remove one of the reasons to change cars at 3 years

Exactly. Most people change cars after 3-yr as warranty runs out.

You don't need to get the cars serviced at main dealers. As per EU law, you can service it anywhere without affecting warranty.
Do people really care about warranty? - Andrew-T
To revert to the original question, as a lifelong buyer of used cars - the nearest I have come to owning a new one was a 6-month-old run-out demonstrator - I only consider a warranty as long as it affects the service record. After that I use my local indie. In the old days I have been known to knock a dealer's price down by getting him to waive his warranty. I'm a cheapskate at heart. But it is generally regarded as a poor bet to spend money on extended warranties for domestic goods. These days you MAY be unlucky, but you are much more likely not to be.
Do people really care about warranty? - carl_a
Kia and Hyundai's market share (based on no of cars sold in July 2008) %
are 1.47 and 1.30 respectively.
Compared to Ford 15% Vauxhall 14% VW 8% BMW/Peugeot/Toyota/Renault/Audi all hovering around 5%
Citoren [3.74%] sold more than Mercedes [3.38%]

Interesting figures but the trends are far more important, Toyota was in 4th position for car sales last month (first time ever I believe), this is a huge change in the UK market. Kia have sold 26.5% more cars this year and they've not really got any new products bar the Cee'd. Hyundai have improved by 1% but as the market as a whole reduced by 3% it not bad.

Ford, VX pre-reg 14% of their cars each month and also sell lots to leasing/rental companies at huge mark downs, thats why they seem to sell so many.
Do people really care about warranty? - In Theory
I always assumed that these long warranties were more for marketing than anything else. Hyundai/Kia needed to persuade the average buyer that these cars are solidly built. We, the manufacturer, are so certain of our product's quality that we will back it up with an extra-long warranty.

So, the role of the long warranty is to serve as bait for making you believe nothing will ever go wrong with the car and that you will never be making a warranty claim. It's the difference between thinking that if something goes wrong the warranty will cover it, and thinking that nothing at all will possibly go wrong. A long warranty can be a device for making people credulous -- a condition that probably evaporates the first time something not covered by the warranty breaks off in your hand.
I bought a one year old Getz (feb 05 reg) for £4200. (For 'er indoors I might add) It's been boringly reliable, but blimey, it's dull. The servicing has been done by a local Indy a/ because it was £140 cheaper (I supplied the Hyundai parts) b/ the warranty after the third year doesn't seem to cover much of anything.

Still trying to come up with a valid reason to change it for a Focus. P/x values are pretty poor, considering everyone's supposed to want a small car at the moment.
If your paying £200 for a service on a Getz, your being had. My dad bought a 5 year service plan with my mums Coupe which works out at £160 a year and that includes teh 5th year cambelt job on the V6. Buying the servicing in advance is the way to go these days as the savings are pretty good if you do your homework.

My dad loves the 5 year warranty - it is bumper to bumper cover which while it doesnt cover wear and tear items, we havent found anything they wont cover yet. Its now over 3 yrs old and they are planning to replace the PAS rack at the 40k service due to a slight weap - they suggested it at the MOT, we never even noticed!

It makes alot of sense if you keep your car for a while, hence many retired folk head straight to Hyundai/Kia. Few want a car that is any trouble and to my mind, a warranty is a bit of paper until the car goes wrong, so its about how much the maker expects to have to pay out on repairs, which accounts for varying lengths.
Do people really care about warranty? - jase1
Warranties may not matter, but reliability certainly seems to be finally starting to sink in with some people.

The striking statistic in that report is the catastrophic across-the-board fall (which is an on-going thing) in sales of French cars.

The way things are going C, R & P are going to be an increasingly rare sight on the roads in years to come -- that despite the rise of the diesel that the Frogs are supposed to be so good at.

Is the fault of people buying unreliable cars that they exist, so anyone with a car known to fail often should not complain, its their fault!
Do people really care about warranty? - jase1
Having said that, Nissan are the only one of the big Japanese firms to be increasing sales significantly. Which given their faults in recent years (little more than Renaults with a Nissan badge in most cases) is strange.
Warranties may not matter but reliability certainly seems to be finally starting to sink in
with some people.
The striking statistic in that report is the catastrophic across-the-board fall (which is an on-going
thing) in sales of French cars.
The way things are going C R & P are going to be an increasingly
rare sight on the roads in years to come -- that despite the rise of
the diesel that the Frogs are supposed to be so good at.

18 months in with my 407 coupe and not a thing gone wrong, (and it's got electric everything). So they can't be all bad!
"If your paying £200 for a service on a Getz, your being had. My dad bought a 5 year service plan with my mums Coupe which works out at £160 a year and that includes teh 5th year cambelt job on the V6. Buying the servicing in advance is the way to go these days as the savings are pretty good if you do your homework."

The five year service plan is only open to someone buying new. No good if you've got a used one.

Edited by midlifecrisis on 09/08/2008 at 13:30

Fair enough, but the Getz is a dead cheap used car because few seem to know much about them, so the saving is there instead surely?
Even so, a £200 service must be atleast 4 hours work which sounds rather alot for a Getz? Ive just booked a cambelt service for my Charade and my local guy, using Daihatsu parts is charging me £130, thats the most expensive service too. His labour rate is £35 ph - maybe thats where your being had as any more than that is a ripoff - Daihatsu main dealer wanted £170 for same job.
Do people really care about warranty? - oilrag
My wife gets a better deal than that on her Punto. The going rate is a coffee and rich tea biscuit every hour, starting with a `primer`. (or at least a driveway visit with the offer)
;)