What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2002 1.8 TDDI whistling away - oldnick
Hi,

my trusty 90HP focus has started whistling, and its only just run in @ 144K.

Only happens under load, with a rise to the note up to 2000 RPM, then it levels off at that note to the redline, does kind of warble a bit sometimes mind.

Performance doesn't seem any worse (and yes I do like to "make progress"...), but with regular trips to London or Wales at the weekends from Notts I don't want it to let go way from home (or ever for that matter).

It does sound more like a whistle than a screech (seized enough 2-strokes to know the difference!), and the symptoms seem to point to a split in a pressurised inlet hose, but I have trouble getting the noise whilst stationary and haven't spotted any leaks yet.

So....

any common areas to check out first?

any safe ways of generating load whilst stationary?

any good garages for turbo related problems around NG25 area (nottingham/newark/mansfield)?

Thanks in advance,

nick
2002 1.8 TDDI whistling away - Screwloose
Intake leaks often spit oil; so look for any spots. Don't forget the intercooler too.

If you can find a garage with a smoke generator, those are ace for finding any sort of leak.

Edited by Screwloose on 31/07/2008 at 21:14

2002 1.8 TDDI whistling away - oldlag
Are you able to make out what its whistling ?

Reason I ask is if it "There may be trouble ahead" then dont worry all FORDS are programmed to whistle that one
2002 1.8 TDDI whistling away - BenG
The flexible hoses to the intercooler seem to wear through where the steel coils are wrapped around the hoses, and also come loose due to oil in the intake system - which accumulates in the hose corrugations - getting between the hoses and the ends of the tube they are clamped to.

Worth looking for oil spray as a indicator of potential leaks in the vicnity of these hoses, and also under the steel coils wrapped around the hoses.