What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1997 1.3 needs new clutch cylinder - Rattle
I have just been told the cause of a severe brake fluid leak is the clutch master cylinder. I have been quoted £100 labour plus parts and possibly a new clutch to repair.

However the MOT is also due soon, my machanic reckons we should take it for the MOT and see what happens.

What do others think?

I dont want to spend all this money just to find other things go wrong soon after.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/07/2008 at 22:04

1997 1.3 needs new clutch cylinder - Screwloose

Why do they need to change the clutch to replace a master cylinder?
He is not sure, but he said there is a chance the clutch is contaminated with brake fluid and won't know for sure until he can see it. He showed me the pipe going into the gearbox and you can see all the fluid leaking from that.

I think the best thing may be to get it through the MOT and then either get the work done or sell it spares and repairs. he seems to think it just needs a new trye and a new brake pipe to get it through the MOT.

The only labour cost I have been quoted is £100 to fit the new cylinder as the gearbox has to be come out.
1997 1.3 needs new clutch cylinder - Screwloose

I think you mean the clutch slave cylinder.
1997 1.3 needs new clutch cylinder - oilrag
If this threads anything to go by, it might economically write the car off.

Just to note, not all cars are like this. If it were a Punto it would just bolt on and cost around £20

Good luck anyway

tinyurl.com/5dhd5t

Edited by oilrag on 15/07/2008 at 17:58

I saw that thread.

I think the plan for now is just to take it to the MOT and see what happens if it gets through with just minor work then the clutch is probably worth fixing.