What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Mondeo Headlamp adjustment for the c - PeteC
I know that I can mask the headlamps (got a template mailed out from Ford Tech Support), but can't I just use the L/R adjustment to give the same throw as a continental car? If the lamp units are the same as those on the continent, lateral adjustment should do it, shouldn't it? Of course, if the units are different over there I'll just have to get out the insulation tape.

Anyone out there in the know on this one?

TIA
Pete
New Mondeo Headlamp adjustment for the c - jc
No,you can't;the rhd lights throw part of the beam to the left on dipped to light the n/s kerb;lhd throw that part of the beam to the right to light up that kerb;in each case it comes from the opposite side of the headlight.
No,you can't;the rhd lights throw part of the beam to the
left on dipped to light the n/s kerb;lhd throw that part
of the beam to the right to light up that kerb;in
each case it comes from the opposite side of the headlight.

I see what you mean, but with projector-type lamps, isn't it just the direction that the reflector is pointing to that is the issue? With the older, lensed-type control and/or with single reflector headlamps, the RHD lamps cannot be the same as on the continental vehicles for the reason you state, but I thought that the 4 reflector jobbies with clear lenses operated on a different principle.

Regards,
Pete
New Mondeo Headlamp adjustment for the c - jc
No,the reflectors are not identical LHD to RHD.The beam control is built into the shape of the reflector not the glass.
New Mondeo Headlamp adjustment for the c - PhilW
Don't use ordinary black insulating tape as a mask - it can absorb enough heat to crack your lenses. Use the Lucas masking kit which is silvered on the stick on side - only about £4 and you can use the template and get about 8 masks from the kit. Also when removing them peel off carefully, stick on to the plastic packaging and use again several times. I reckon that with 4 trips to France a year one kit should last you until 2008!! Now how tight fisted is that?? (I am from Yorkshire!!)
PhilW
Thanks for that info Phil, point taken on the need for silvering. As a Lancastrian I'll be attempting to improve on your 2008 target.... 2010 maybe?
Regards,
Pete
Thanks JC, now I've taken the time to look at the reflectors, I can see the asymmetry you're talking about.
Thanks again,
Pete