What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
08 1.4 Windscreen damage - Tally
Just had an idiot driving down the middle of a road in the hatched area between lanes and threw up a stone and chipped my windscreen approx 4mm round area of windscreen 4 small lines approx 7 mm long leading from chip, my question is can it be repaired as its a heated screen will it have damaged the elements,has anybody any experience of these repairs.

Cheers

Tally
08 1.4 Windscreen damage - MikeTorque
Sorry to hear you've been the victim of an overtaking moron and the damage they have caused.

It's best to take your car along to Autoscreen windscreen services or similar asap and see if they can repair it, they'll be able to advise once they inspect the damage.

08 1.4 Windscreen damage - mfarrow
Ensure the windscreen comes with a warranty, including the heated elements.

Dad had a replacement windscreen a couple of years ago on the Fiesta. The windscreen was replaced with an OEM one, but some of the elements were already broken. I'm not sure whether this was a faulty screen or the flexing involved in man-handling it (compared with machines on assembly lines) that causes it.

It's difficult this time of year but if you want suggestions on how to test the front demister I suggest you watch something like Titanic ;-)
08 1.4 Windscreen damage - L'escargot
Ensure the windscreen comes with a warranty including the heated elements.

And if possible get a genuine screen fitted, or at least one made by the original manufacturer ~ in which case the only difference will be that the car manufacturers markings will be missing. Avoid pattern parts if at all possible.
It's difficult this time of year but if you want suggestions on how to test
the front demister I suggest you watch something like Titanic ;-)

With the engine running, switch on the aircon for a few minutes. Turn off the aircon and then set the heater to cold airflow to the screen only, making sure the fan is on. Spray cold water onto the outside of the screen. More than likely the screen will mist up on the inside due to residual moisture in the aircon/heater system coming out of the screen vents.
08 1.4 Windscreen damage - Tally
Rang Insurers windscreen people this morning and they say it needs replacing,they are putting in an identical one apart from it will say RAC rather than Ford, I asked if it was made to same spec and they say it is. Booked in for Wednesday for £50 excess.
I would hope it comes with warranty from RAC.

Thanks
Tally
08 1.4 Windscreen damage - MikeTorque
The windscreen should be fine Tally. Auto Windscreens is part of the RAC and now operates as RAC Auto Windscreens. Their workmanship on re-glazing jobs is guaranteed for three years and guarantee resin repairs on laminated front screens for five years.

The only downside with the new windscreen is you'll have to leave it for a couple of hours to allow to resin to set before you're being able to drive the car, the longer the better. Check the heater element works ok the following day to give the resin longer to set, any problems they'll sort them out.

I once had a replacement windscreen crack from the outer edge within a couple of days of it being fitted. They examined it for impact damage just to check and then replaced with another one as part of the guarantee.