What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - Nsar
She drives a 53 plate Freelander Td4 S with about 60k on the clock - it was a demo when we got it. A bit scuffed and worn but nothing a bit of tlc wouldn't cure. Trade in price maybe £4500?

She wants to reduce her carbon footprint and fuel costs.

Most journeys are either 15 mile commute or 70-80 round trips about twice a week.
We have two kids and a dog, but I drive a Legacy estate so a smaller car is desirable on costs/enviro grounds.

Budget for new car about £15k

Questions for BR:

1. Is it actually less enviro friendly to trade up to a newer (but styill second hand car) on the basis that the elast green car is a newly made one and the closer you get to the new car market, the more you fuel it?

2. If prices are softening is it more economic to suffer depreciation on a car worth around £5k with 25mpg than to suffer the depreciation on £15k but get perhaps 45mpg (and lower road fund)

3. If she does switch what would you go for with the above criteria - badge is quite important so Kia's etc whilst they may be admirable cars are not going to get a look in

Thanks as ever.
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - oldnotbold
"2. If prices are softening is it more economic to suffer depreciation on a car worth around £5k with 25mpg than to suffer the depreciation on £15k but get perhaps 45mpg (and lower road fund)"

Do the sums yourself - I can't see how you can be saving money by spending £15k on a new car if you have about £5k in the current one. Depreciation will be huge unless you budget to keep it for at least 10 years.

25 mpg from the Td4 ?? Are you sure?
Don't know about mpg that's what she told me, but she does sometimes drive like her hair's on fire.

Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - Alby Back
Some good kit available within your budget Nsar. I'm sure you will find something to cheer her motoring cockles. Just a wee bit of personal experience. My wife decided to downsize four years ago from a large estate to a supermini. Logic similar to yours in that I continue to run a larger car for its loadspace. She loves the little car but admits that she misses the versatility of the larger one. My advice would be not to go too small in one jump.

Have fun choosing !
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - Happy Blue!
Hi Nsar

If you look at the thread about Espadille's new (ish) car, you may find that with a nice three pointed star at the front and an economical diesel engine under the bonnet a nearly new A-class will suit the bill.
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - Avant
Shoespy's point is well made: have a look at Espada's Mercedes A-class thread, which is quite a similar situation. Mrs E wants something smaller but isn't enamoured of the small cars currently available. I think Mr E sees the A-class as a gentler step down from the people-carrier she has now. He's going to drive one today so hopefully will let us know what he thinks.

Possibilities -

Mercedes A-class - a bottom-end one for £15k or a nearly-new more upmarket one (could be an idea if you'd prefer not to buy new)

Honda Jazz - lots of room but a new model is on the way

Toyota Yaris 1.3 - not as roomy as a Jazz but livelier

Suzuki Swift 1.5 - as Yaris

Nissan Note - silly name but worth a look; you can get a 1.6

Skoda Fabia - you can get a 1.6 and there's an estate too

I'd say those are the best of the superminis, but of course there are lots more. Ultimately it'll be a matter of what she likes, however noble the criteria you set out!
Thanks for the replies.

We looked at an A class a few years ago. I quite like them, but it didn't do it for herself.

Jazz is a nice thought, wouldn't have been on my immediate list, but will put it forward.

Yaris is a bit too small and others whilst good cars I think will struggle on the badge thing (and M-I-L drives a Fabia so that's right out.....!)
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - Whisky
25 mpg from the Td4 ?? Are you sure?

Bosses daughter has one, think the offical figure is 35mpg combined so that would be right for town driving. Totally carp engine efficency wise, think it falls into the second highest tax band aswell.
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - Whisky
Suggestion for a car : Nearly new Diesel BMW 1 Series, if you get an 07 they have all that crazy fuel saving measures, like the engine turning off at a standstill. Think the 2 litre diesel returns about 55-60mpg and 0-60 in under 10 secs.
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - teabelly
Greenest thing to do is to get a vegetable oil conversion kit fitted so you can use mostly vegetable oil. Much more environmentally friendly and a damn sight cheaper! If the oil is pre heated and the car is started and stopped on diesel then you shouldn't get the issues with clogged injectors. Probably cost you 10% of what it would to buy a new car. A proper conversion would probably enhance eventual resale as diesel prices are likely to stay high until people have gone off them. Running a car that already exists is usually the most environmentally friendly option.

"damn sight cheaper"

Only if you used waste oil. The price of fresh veg oil is close to diesel, add on the inconvenience factor and there is no financial saving.
Mrs Nsar is looking to change - suggestions please - teabelly
You can buy fresh oil around here for about 50p a litre in 20/25 litre containers. Normal diesel is 120p so it is a massive saving. Once the conversion has been done then there is little in the way of inconvenience.
"You can buy fresh oil around here for about 50p a litre in 20/25 litre containers."

Where's here? - but I doubt it seriously - very little oil is being sold at less than 90p/litre, even in bulk.

See here:www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?...6