What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Possible fuel pump issues on 2004 TDCi & 2000 TDi - stetec
I've bought ( for a bargain price I hope ) 2 of my works company cars. One is a 2004 Focus 1.8 TDCi ZETEC and the other is a 2000 Focus 1.8 TDi.

They both have huge mileage ( 250k ish ). The TDi one has had everything rebuilt or replaced ( head, turbo, injectors etc ) everything except the fuel pump.

The other one I'm not sure about.

They have both been diagnosed by Ford as having fuel pump issues. As far as I know they both have similar symptoms: They suddenly lose power andor cut out and sometimes start again after being switched off and sometimes they don't. The heater plug light on the dash also pulsesflashes.

Ford quote a grand or so to supply, fit and code a new pump for the TDCi one. I can buy a cheaper one second hand though and maybe get a local garage to code it ( I'm told there's one near by ). Does the TDi one run a similar fuel pump setup so thus talking similar money to fix?

I want to get them up and running as cheap as poss. obviously and am wondering if it's worth just chucking a new engine in the TDCi one as I can get a 30k miles one for about 500 squid plus fitting.

Any help/advice you can give me would be great as the whole thing is doing my head in!

Thanks in advance

Ste

{moves to correct sub forum}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/07/2008 at 12:48

Possible fuel pump issues on 2004 TDCi & 2000 TDi - Screwloose
Ste

Two totally different units there; really nothing to connect the problems at all.

Starting with the TDCi; what exact codes/evidence were found; I've found that many dealers start by changing the pump and then diagnose the real fault from there, so go carefully. Cam sensors fail in droves; has it had the modified one - with the wiring change?

On the TDDi; pump failure is not unknown and is very expensive to fix. Again; what exact codes and what other evidence is there?