What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000 1.6 stall during idle - ibanez074
Hi all,

firstly, great forum very helpful!

During the last couple of months my focus has started to idle very lumpy and if not given any throttle it cuts out. Other than this the car runs perfectly - it's just when idling. Also, when coming up to a red light or stopping, when i dip the clutch the revs climb to 3000 of its own accord without any throttle only to drop down when i've stopped - then it cuts out.

I've read that this could be an airflow problem. I'm confused as to whether its the mass airflow meter, mass airflow sensor or something else. Can i replace the sensor or does the whole unit need replacing or maybe it's not this at all?! Is it something i could repair or does it need a garage?

Many thanks on any light shed on this annoying problem.

Pete.

Edited by ibanez074 on 05/07/2008 at 16:03

2000 1.6 stall during idle - Screwloose
Pete

I'd remove and clean the idle speed control valve first - a squirt of WD40 never hurts either.

Once that is done; then some other reasons for this problem can be explored.
Cheers screwloose!
Sounds like an easy job i can do myself yes? I'll google it.
2000 1.6 stall during idle - Screwloose

Yes; pretty much looking at you on the inlet manifold. One plug [ignition off] and two screws; the gasket should be OK.

A quick clean and lube and then that's eliminated from the mix and we can concentrate on the real issue - if necessary.
2000 1.6 stall during idle - punkhead
this sounds like a split or collapsed vacuum hose on the inlet manifold. There is one which is quite common for this.You can see it at the back of the manifold there are two hoses going into a 't' piece which goes into a valve on the block. Have a look at this. It is easy to get to.
Thanks punkhead, will get a chance to look this weekend. come to think of it, there is 'ssss' type sound when this happens also so perhaps your right!
I found the problem, its a vacuum hose split. The hose is below the throttle housing and it goes into the inlet manifold. trouble is, one end of it (inlet end) is secured with a strange clip - it looks like a jubilee clip but instead of having a screw head it has what can only be described as a crimped metal bottle top...

Any ideas on how to remove this?!
Thanks, Pete.