What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 black smoking - bigmennie
hi my car smokes like hell black smoke not all the time just when accelerating hard when the turbo kicks it runs fine no loss in power and so on only when i first get in it when i set off it will judder slightly then wont do it all day i put some injector cleaner in it 2 weeks prior can anway provide me with the answer i need thanks
03 2.0 black smoking - Peter.N.
I would be interested to know the answer to this myself as I have noticed several on the motorway doing the same thing, so it doesn't seem to be uncommon. It would appear that the electronics are not doing what they are supposed to.
03 2.0 black smoking - MikeTorque
Sounds like the inside of the engine may possibly be clogged up with muck. Have you tried a couple of tanks full of one of the quality diesel fuels that help to clean up accumulated carbon & muck inside the engine ?
(e.g. BP Ultimate, Shell V-power etc. or one Millers engine additives)
03 2.0 black smoking - fordprefect
>> I would be interested to know the answer to this myself as I have noticed
several on the motorway doing the same thing so it doesn't seem to be uncommon.
It would appear that the electronics are not doing what they are supposed to.

>

The electronics may be doing their best but there is always an unavoidable time lag when the accelerator is suddenly floored: the turbo's rotating parts have to accelerate before enough extra air is available to burn the extra fuel cleanly, hence the black smoke.

To minimise the lag, wastegates, variable geometry and smaller turbos (which have less rotational inertia) have been introduced and ECU's mapped to help, but flooring the pedal quickly may still cause smoke for a second or two. (this is also harder on the transmission and less economical of fuel than more progressive acceleration)

It may be the electronics are mapped for all around optimum performance and economy (and to give best results for the standard test cycle) and these transient effects have to be lived with.

03 2.0 black smoking - astrabob
Change the air filter, then take it for a decent motorway run, and make sure you rev it up to 4000rpm.
03 2.0 black smoking - drivewell
I get the impression that most Mondeo TDCi engines do this. My '05 plate 130bhp certainly does. Doesn't interfere with smoke test though - mine had its first MoT last week, and it passed on 'FastPass' (i.e., first reading comes in below the limit, therefore no further accelerations necessary)
03 2.0 black smoking - mondeo1306
get the EGR and possibly the inlet manifold cleaned out, and check the rubber boost hose below the egr off and inspect for splits

did mine, and uncoupled the EGR....no smoke of any consequence except at about 5000 rpm full rocket boost...
03 2.0 black smoking - mondeo1306
oh, and consider trying millers derv treatment, reputed to work wonders