What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which one? - Chad.R
After having some time looking at a used car for a relative recently, I seem to have got the bug too. Quite fancy a used Accord but can't seem to decide on whether to go for a Saloon/Tourer or diesel/Petrol. I know that sounds pretty undecisive but that's me.....

My requirements are;

1. Needs to seat 5 - 2 adults and 3 children (9, 7, & 2 years on 2 boosters and 1 car seat).
2. The car will be used for my daily commute which is currently ~30 miles a day on a 50/50 mix of urban and rural roads.
3. On the weekends it will probably do another 50+ miles as the "family" car, loaded up with various kit - a Tourer would be handy here.
3. We usually have around 2 annual trips/holidays where everthing and the kitchen sink gets loaded up for a week or so - again Tourer would be great.
4. Would like to achieve a minimum of 30mpg on average - so perhaps a diesel?
5. I like my luxuries/gadgets so Executive spec would be great.....but I'm also a miser and don't want to spend more than £5-6k.

The other option is something like a Mondeo hatch/estate which I have no problem with and actually quite like the look of....it's just that the Accord seems a tad more refined and nicer inside. I also found the Mondy estates on Autotrader, in say Ghia X spec, seem about the same, if not pricier than the same age/mileage Accords.

Thanks in advance.
Which one? - Chad.R
Should've said that it's the 2003 on Accord I'm interested in - not bothered about the previous model.
Which one? - Alby Back
I got my first estate 6 cars ago (if that makes sense). Never gone back to a saloon or hatch since. I really wouldn't want to have any other kind of car now. Just so much handier. Tried MPVs and 4x4s inbetween some of these but didn't enjoy driving them nearly as much. So happens that the current one is a Mondeo Ghia X diesel coincidentally. Great car, does everything and more that I want / need. Highly recommended. Cheap to run too.
Which one? - Chad.R
The "new" car will replace a Landcruiser Colorado and I guess I've got used to the space and practicality......

Which one? - Chad.R
I saw a CDTi tourer in Autotrader for a very keen price and sent a mail enquiring about some further details etc...... this is the response I got;

I am the registered keeper of the 2005 Honda Accord 2.2 Cdti Executive Touring Estate. The car is in perfect condition, no scratches, no dents, full service history, HPI clear , no outstanding finance.
Recently I divorced and I have decided to move in my home country , so I want to sell my car and go back to Germany.

The price is £ 3200 sterling .This price includes the shipping to your door and insurance no matter of the location. Let me know where are you located (your full shipping address) to calculate shipping cost.
Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in the United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator. All documents, including V5 log book on your name will be provided along with the car.

If you realy are interested please reply with your name and address so I can reserve the car for you.

Well, they do say there is one born every minute!

Which one? - Brit_in_Germany
Chad, as the owner of a 2006 Accord, the only comment I would make on your choice is to check that the rear seatbelts suit your requirements. My experience is that because the buckles lie flat in a groove in the seat, it becomes a real PIA to belt the children in. An ISOFIX seat may overcome this but as I rarely ferry the kids, it is a route I have not investigated.
BIG
Which one? - Chad.R
Thanks for the heads-up - I had a look inside 2 tourers today (in the car park at work) and they both had the rear seat buckles with about 2-3 inches of spare belt. So they "flopped" on the seat rather than sitting flush with the cushion, with no slack as in many cars.
Which one? - Avant
We haven't covered your petrol v. diesel question yet: there have been a few horror stories of diesel Hondas going wrong, but never petrol ones. Your mileage doesn't sound too great (unless your commute is 30 miles each way) and a 2.0 petrol should give you well over 30 if driven reasonably.

SWMBO had a Civic with the same engine and it readily gave 40 mpg on a long run - about 32 in town.
Which one? - ijws15
These comments relate to the Tourer I ran for four years and 120k.

The rear seat buckles (as delivered) are held in an elastic loop which keeps them in position for folding the seat but makes them difficult to use. I took them out of the loops allowing them to "flop".

IIRC there are only Isofix fittings for 2 seats in the back.

With 1/3 of the seat folded you can only use ONE rear belt, you cannot fasten the centre belt.

For the number of Diesel Accords about you would expect one or two failures - how often do you see a petrol Accord? Apart from a Manifold crack at around 90k the engine on mine was faultless.

If it stands outside they steam up the windscreen after 400 yards when it is very cold. You get used to it.
Which one? - Chad.R
Thanks, I would very, very rarely need to fold down any of the seats, so hopefully that won't be a problem.
Which one? - Chad.R
My commute is (currently) 15 miles each way / 30 in total. Add to that the weekend mileage plus one-off holiday/trips etc and it's probably no more than 12-14k.

My main worry is that though my commute is 50/50 rural/urban, the urban bit involves a fair bit of stop/start and queuing and I may probably never achieve anywhere near 30 mpg, especially if I go for the Tourer which is heavier too.

Also I would like to use the performance when possible and like the way (modern) diesels drive..... though if the figures stack up for the petrol version I can be swayed....

I've joined the THAOC - whilst it's no good asking them whether a Honda Accord is any good, I'll see what they say about the Petrol V Diesel argument .....

Cheers.

Edited by Chad.R on 12/06/2008 at 09:55

Which one? - ijws15
Another thing to look for - the space saver spare was a no-cost option - check if it has one or a can of sealant AND a compressor. If not you will be able to get these (from Honda?) but don't expect it to be cheap.