What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Stupid question on door lock barrels - triggs
I just bought 2 replacement door locks for my Fiesta on ebay. Just by the drain hole one is marked L and the other R.

So L for left and R for right, so my stupid question is:

Is this left and right when sitting in the car facing forward so L is passenger door and R is driver door or is it L and R when looking at the car from the front towards the back?

I said it was a stupid question but if anyone can clarify then it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary
Stupid question on door lock barrels - tr7v8
Generally sitting in the driver seat looking forward.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - Dynamic Dave
R = drivers door.
L = passengers door.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - Lud
I think you can assume that Ford mark everything from the car's point of view and you are right in your assumption triggs.

Don't blame me if the car turns a handspring and sings the Alleluia Chorus next time you try to open it though.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - triggs
Thanks guys, appreciate your prompt responses.

Will fit them tomorrow now.

Cheers,

Gary
Stupid question on door lock barrels - none
O/S and N/S is so much easier.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - Screwloose
O/S and N/S is so much easier.

True; but when cars are made in two different drive formats, one universal method of differentiating the sides is understandable.

With a LHD car; O/S is the left side.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - Pugugly
Napoleon has a lot to answer for.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - NowWheels
Napoleon has a lot to answer for.

Try looking at the big picture, PU? OK, he made people drive on the wrong side of the road, and his armies laid waste to most of Europe and he imposed a scarily rigid legal code, but on the up side he gave that one-eyed sailor the opportunity for a heroic death and he persuaded the British to build lots of lovely martello towers? What's a few trashed counties and misplaced steering wheels against all those lovely granite pillboxes? ;)

Edited by NowWheels on 25/05/2008 at 00:00

Thanks for the perspective - and the British colonized Malta - that may have been a good thing
or a bad thing for the Maltese !
Stupid question on door lock barrels - ifithelps
With a LHD car; O/S is the left side.

I would have thought it was the direction of travel of the car.

If you are sat facing forwards, the near side must be your left side - it doesn't matter where the steering wheel, or anything else, is.

Otherwise, the front seat passenger would name opposite sides to the driver.
Easy way to remember is that the nearside is always nearest the verge, regardless of where the steering wheel is
Easy way to remember is that the nearside is always nearest the verge regardless of
where the steering wheel is

PU,

I'm not trying to be smart, but what if the car is parked in a field?

My original post was based on a left hooker we had in the garage once - it was on the ramp in the workshop, so there were no kerbs or verges to relate it too.

Plus, on the wheel free, you could spin the thing around if you wanted to.

I'm still backing: 'nearside is the left side of someone sat in a forward facing seat'.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - bathtub tom
>>I would have thought it was the direction of travel of the car.

Mine's got a reverse gear ;>)
Stupid question on door lock barrels - Screwloose

Did I really, really, have to say "a LHD car - used in a country that drives on the right?"

Recently; I'm beginning to wonder why I bother.
I must be dense, because I still don't quite get what you mean.

There are two things I am certain of:

1. The views of others are just as valid as yours.

2. There is no need to get tetchy every time someone has the temerity to question the world according to Screwloose.

Edited by ifithelps on 25/05/2008 at 00:02

Nearside is the nearside as far as UK law is concerned wherever the steering wheel is. Specifically on VED discs for instance. See S 33 VE&R Act 1994. This makes a driver display a tax disc on the nearside (kerbside) so that that when a car is correctly parked the disc is on that side to make it easier for a disc to be examined by a passing Police Office on foot (some hope).
Stupid question on door lock barrels - none
I've posted this before, but here we go again.
Many years ago I failed (mot) a VW camper van on a noisy N/S/F wheel bearing. The owner was back and forth for retests, he'd regreased and adjusted, replaced the outer bearing, then the inner one and couldn't understand why I thought the bearing was noisy. It turned out that he thought N/S was the side nearest the driver.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - adverse camber
ifithelps,

Nearside and offside relate to the position of the car to the side of the road (near) or centre of the road (off).

Obviously that is different if you are driving on the left or the right. In most of the rest of the world Near and off sides refer to the other side of the car to what you in the UK may expect. Hence using Left and Right is a better description because it specifies which side of the car.

Best are the owners manuals that have a diagram with a grid system so that you can specify a 'map location' that is explicit.
Stupid question on door lock barrels - Mookfish
Ford locks will lock with any ford key, but hopefuly only the right key will unlock them (I have in the past unlocked the an almost identical car with my keys though).

So borrow another ford key to test, I have heard of the barrels being fitted to the wrong doors so any ford key unlocked them but only the proper key will lock the car.

Passenger lock on a RHD is clockwise to unlock, anti clockwise to lock.
Drivers lock on a RHD is anti clockwise to unlock, clockwise to lock.

Hope that helps.