What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - bozerboy
Recently when taking foot off accelerator in my 2001 Focus estate fitted with the 1.8Tdci engine, the car wants to continue on its way. especially at low speeds Dipping clutch appears to solve problem till next time. When clutch is depressed the engine does not race. It is not a sticking accelerator pedal/cable.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/05/2008 at 20:07

01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - AndyT
I have a tddi engined Focus, and it will automatically increase engine revs a little if you approach stalling speed in any gear. Noticable of course in slow moving/stop-start traffic.
01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - Peter
It does this on my 54 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi and it also did it on my Rover 420 SLDI.

In fact it can go quite a long way before it slows down and if you are not used to it, can be a bit un-nerving.
Interesting comments from last 2 replies. But I think there is something a little more going on in my case. My car has only just started doing this. I feel if it was meant tobe, it would have done so from the start.
The spead thing about being near to stalling is not the case. I never drive letting engine labour so much.
Example of how my car is reacting, (and was first noticable) is when I come home. I live on a drive which is a slight up hill from the main road. On approach I slow down to about 10mph change gear usually to 2nd, then let momentum of vehicle take me into drive. One would then expect the uphill gradient to slow the vehicle more. and use of accelerator neccessary to keep forward motion. However without use of accelerator my car will continue to pull up hill . Another example is when approaching other slow moving or stood traffic. One normally brakes changes down gear then dependent on spead continue braking or start to use accelerator. It is when taking foot off brake that my car then keeps pulling as though foot is already on accelerator..
I hope these explanations may be clear enough for someone hopefully to suggest a possible cause.
01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - kithmo
I know you said it wasn't near stalling but it is the stall prevention routine built in to the ECU, quite normal, it comes in before the revs get to stalling. SWMBO's 2002 Focus 1.8 TDDi does it and so does my 2005 Mondeo 2.0TDCi and I noticed it does so more aggresively on an uphill slope. Maybe it wasn't working before, have you recently had an ECU reset or disconnected the battery ?
snipquote!
Now there is a thought! Car has had a new clutch and cambelt fitted (£800), so recon battery would have been disconnected then. Perhaps a return visit to garage would not be a bad idea. Though reluctant incase anything else they can find and cost to solve.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/05/2008 at 16:14

01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - ozboy
Help
01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - ozboy

Help my 1.8 focus endura has exactly the same problem as yours. Did you find the problem many thanks

01 1.8 Turbo Diesel over run - BenG
S

Edited by BenG on 21/03/2012 at 12:43