What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo puts foot in it - Dynamic Dave
A German court has ruled car maker Volvo has to pay compensation to a man who claimed his feet were too big to use the accelerator on his new car.

A judge said the car makers should have catered for Michael Herzog?s size 12 feet. The court ruled his feet were not abnormally large and the judge said the dealer should give the German five per cent off the price of his new car.

Under a court-supervised settlement, Herzog obtained a £1,350 refund to pay for a specially made pair of shoes that allowed him to squeeze his foot into the space.

He was also compensated for the time spent changing back into street shoes each time he got out of the car to meet clients.

Taken from www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1163340

Volvo puts foot in it - DP
The world has gone mad! :-(

Cheers
DP
Volvo puts foot in it - Pugugly
If I was the dealer I'd refuse point blank to sell him a car.
Volvo puts foot in it - pendulum
Why did he buy, or accept, the car in the first place if it did not meet his needs? He surely would have had ample opportunity to test the car before accepting it?

I don't think it is fair at all to expect the manufacturer to pay for something like that.
Volvo puts foot in it - AlastairW
The question is...
WhichVolvo should the large footed avoid?
Volvo puts foot in it - bathtub tom
I had a drive of a MK1 Elva once, and I couldn't get both my size twelves in the pedal box at the same time. It made for an interesting experience. I also had to drive it with the hood down, and look over the top of the screen.
Volvo puts foot in it - Dynamic Dave
WhichVolvo should the large footed avoid?

I googled his name and apparantly it was a C70 Coupe.
Volvo puts foot in it - barney100
Sales off old standard ''your feets too big, I really hate you 'cos your feets too big'' have suddenly soared in a certain part of Sweden.
Volvo puts foot in it - BazzaBear {P}
That is utterly ridiculous.
If the car isn't suitable for you, don't buy it!

Did he follow up by buying a 2 bedroom house, then sueing the builder because there isn't room for his 3 children?
Volvo puts foot in it - PoloGirl
How long til an overweight person sues Porsche or similar because they can't get into one of their cars...?

ETA: Actually perhaps tall would be a better example than overweight, because you can't choose how tall you are. Maybe he's got an argument then, that Volvo have not catered for their diverse range of customers. Could the huge feet be regarded as a disability I wonder, and would that be why he's been successful?

Edited by PoloGirl on 09/05/2008 at 00:08

Volvo puts foot in it - nicebutdim
ETA: Actually perhaps tall would be a better example than overweight because you can't choose
how tall you are.

...so people choose to be overweight? off-topically speaking, can't believe you said that.
yes people choose to take risks, but there is a much bigger picture!

Body Weight Influenced By Thousands Of Genes
ScienceDaily (Jan. 16, 2008)

Researchers from the Monell Center have for the first time attempted to count the number of genes that contribute to obesity and body weight.

Their findings suggest that over 6,000 genes -- about 25 percent of the genome -- help determine an individual's body weight.

"Reports describing the discovery of a new 'obesity gene' have become common in the scientific literature and also the popular press," notes Monell behavioral geneticist Michael G. Tordoff, PhD, an author on the study.

"Our results suggest that each newly discovered gene is just one of the many thousands that influence body weight, so a quick fix to the obesity problem is unlikely."

Tordoff comments, "It is interesting that there are 10 times more genes that increase body weight than decrease it, which might help explain why it is easier to gain weight than lose it."

...incase you're wondering, no I'm not overweight... but I think there are many people that would be upset by your inference, sorry
Volvo puts foot in it - pendulum
...so people choose to be overweight? off-topically speaking can't believe you said that.

She was right to say it. Anyone who eats a balanced diet and exercises well should not find themselves significantly overweight. Genes can play a part in a persons ease of weight gain, but ultimately body size is controllable and people have a choice over how fat or skinny they allow their body to become.

FEE Rule: Fat =+ Eating - Exercise.

Tallness is much harder to control.

Edited by pendulum on 09/05/2008 at 01:57

Volvo puts foot in it - Blue {P}
Agree with Pendulum. People who say they can't control being fat always seem to lose weight after having a gastric band fitted, funny that.