What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.3 Endura E engine - common oil leak sources - DP
My sister has a 98 Ka 1.3 with the old Endura E pushrod engine. Oil is absolutely **urinating** out of it. An hour's stop leaves a dinner plate sized puddle on the ground.

Going to have a look at it this weekend. Any particularly common leak points on these engines? I don't think it's the rocker cover, as this had a new gasket and was carefully torqued up when I did the tappets last year. I asked her to check around the top of the engine and she reckons there's nothing there.

Any suggestions as a good place to start?

Cheers
DP
1998 1.3 Endura E engine - common oil leak sources - mfarrow
Mine urinated from the oil pressure switch, which then let 3 litres go in 200 miles. Thought it was filter at first as the switch is right above it.

My aftermarket oil pump is leaking slightly, OEMs should be OK though.

Only other places are crank seals and sump plug/gasket/crack.
1998 1.3 Endura E engine - common oil leak sources - jc2
Is filter tight??
Thanks both. Will check all this thoroughly when I get to see the car.

It sounds like the oil filter area is a good place to start, both for the filter itself and the pressure switch.

I did the last service on the car (about a year ago) so if the oil filter is loose, I will be hugely embarrassed! Never had this happen before, mind.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers
DP
Had a very quick look today, and I think it's the sump itself, which looks like it is rotting from the outside in. Bottom of the sump is soaked (literally) in engine oil, which stops about half way up. That said I couldn't get right under the car to check the back of the sump, but the front and sides are soaked from about half way down.

I've never seen anything quite like it. Will try to get under it properly next weekend and check, but it looks like I'll be trying to find a good S/H sump from a breaker.

The cylinder head and the top of the block are bone dry.

Cheers
DP