What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 TDCi engine probs after fuel filter change - pilotboy
I have recently changed my fuel filter on my 03 Plate 2l TDCI Mondeo, since I have changed it the engine has started spluttering, Fuel consumption has considerably dropped and there is excessive white smoke coming from the exhaust. I was wondering if anyone could help me find the problem?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/04/2008 at 11:21

03 2.0 engine problems after fuel filter change - 659FBE
How did you prime the replacement filter?

03 2.0 engine problems after fuel filter change - pilotboy
The fuel filter got filled with diesel prior to fitting it
03 2.0 engine problems after fuel filter change - kithmo
Why did you change the filter, was it due ?
I was having the same problem that a few people on here have had with a flashing glow plug light and the engine cutting out. My mate also had this problem diagnostics on his car showed the fuel filter as many had suggested on here. It has stopped the engine cutting out but now have these new problems
03 2.0 engine problems after fuel filter change - Red Baron
Err, your flashing glow-plug light may well indicate that the injectors have reached the end of the calibration range available in the existing software. At best an upgrade in the software will fix. At worst a new (or even four new) injectors are required.

This was the case recently with my 03 TDCi at about 70,000 miles.

Get the diagnostic codes read.
03 2.0 engine problems after fuel filter change - kithmo
Diagnostics wouldn't specifically show the fuel filter as a problem, it has no sensors on it. Did you check the contents of the old filter for water contamination ?
If you have water in your tank it will be deposited in your filter first, then if there is too much in the filter it will go through to the pump and injectors. changing the filter will temporarily make it run better, but the filter will fill up with water again unless the tank and fuel lines are drained and cleared. Take the new filter off and check for water, pour some fuel out of the filter into a glass jar and leave it to settle. The water will sink to the bottom, if there is a lot of water in the filter you'll see it straight away.
BTW some filters have a drain facility, so you can drain the water contaminated fuel off from the bottom where it settles.
I have had the diagnostics done over the weekend and it comes up with code 200 Injector System Malfuction, any Ideas what it may be??
03 2.0 engine problems after fuel filter change - Screwloose

You'll need to get it read with something that can access manufacturer codes - EOBD codes like that P0200 are virtually useless now.

This may just need the injector correction factors re-coding.