What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
96 1.8td - occasionally revs up of its own accord - useless
every so often the engine decides it want to rev up all on it's own, you could be driving it and it just takes off like an apollo space rocket. Have been told it may be the pump and some suggest it's the turbo. what (if any) would be the best and cheapest way to find out what could be the cause
Many thanks in advance

{subject header amended to give a clue as to what question is being asked}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/04/2008 at 13:33

1996 1.8td - Carse
It could also be the clutch slipping, have you noticed any changes in the biting point?

Carse
1996 1.8td - useless
not clutch this engine revs right up if you dip clutch and have to kill engine before it blows Hope this helps
1996 1.8td - Peter.N.
If its done a high mileage it could be running away on sump oil vapour due to bore wear. Will it stop if you switch off? if not, that's what it will be
1996 1.8td - useless
Yes it stops when turned off, then restart it it's fine then maybe few days later it may happen again car only done 76000 miles
1996 1.8td - Screwloose

Check the oil level.
1996 1.8td - useless
oil level bang on the mark having just serviced it, but it was doing this before servicing
Thanks
1996 1.8td - Screwloose
useless

Find the little round aneroid unit on the lower front of the injection pump [gold tin cover] and remove it's rubber hose with the sprung clip.

Is there any sign of diesel in that hose, or dripping from the aneroid unit?
1996 1.8td - Peter.N.
Well that's a good sign! Could be that air is getting into the fuel system. If possible replace the last section of fuel pipe to the pump with clear plastic and watch for air bubbles. You could have aleak anywhere in the fuel line or it could be at the filter. Has the filter been changed recently? if yes, it may not be sealing properly, if no, try changing it.
1996 1.8td - Screwloose
Peter

I've always found it a sign of leaking diaphragms in the aneroid unit.

It pushes low-pressure diesel back up the metal boost-pressure pipe to the inlet manifold - a common cause of runaways on these.
1996 1.8td - useless
would that be the pipe from the pump back to the turbo? i ask this as i know there is fuel in that pipe as it had a leak
again thanks for the help
1996 1.8td - Screwloose
useless

Yes; it goes to an elbow on the turbo housing just before the intercooler - mostly steel, but with a soft rubber section at each end.

It should only have air in it. If diesel is present; then the diaphragm in the aneroid unit has split. A new unit is around £90 from LSUK - it may be supply and fit only as the unit should be re-adjusted afterwards.

Diaphragm kits are available - but not easy to fit.
1996 1.8td - useless
brilliant thanks for that
1996 1.8td - Peter.N.
Hi Screwloose

I wouldn't disagree with that as I am not familiar with the pump used on the Ford engine. As you will probably have noticed, most of my fault finding relates to Citroen/Peugeot set ups, but I'm learning from you all the time!
1996 1.8td - useless
I must admit i found it odd that there was fuel going to the turbo
1996 1.8td - useless
Ok been in touch with LSUK and as Screwloose predicted it is the aneroid unit (they called it a boost unit) lol they told me what the car was doing so i reiterate my thanks for a spot on diagnagnostic (i wish i could spell)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/04/2008 at 17:53

1996 1.8td - siddy
Had the same symptoms - spontaneously reving up (always accompanied by a loud clicking?). Anyway - again, found diesel in the hose connecting to the aneroid unit to the inlet unit so thanks to Screwloose. Too often in forums once someone has found the solution they don't bother posting back a positive resolution so cheers to everyone.