£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - oldnotbold
A mate is going self-employed, and most of his work will be for his old bosses who are in the US. He'll use the car for Dad's taxi runs, viewing the relatives, trips to airports and offices around the S of England etc. No regular commuting.

He reckons he'll clock up 12k a year, he thinks he's best off with a petrol estate, and he really only wants Ford. Question is whether it's a Focus or Mondeo. He's got the obligatory two kids plus medium sized dog.

So, BRers, which car/engine combo?
£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - Round The Bend
Mazda 6 estate. No, hold on, it is a Ford in all but name and regulary won the What Car best estate award. Try to get a 2.0 TS.
£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - Blue {P}
Mondeo 2.0 Petrol, should get a nice spec one with that budget.

Lovely motor, if you like estates that is.

Edited by Blue {P} on 07/04/2008 at 16:49

£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - niceguyeddy
Ford ... dont do it as it will break down.

Go Japenese !!!
£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - jc2
And Jap don't breakdown?;will you pay for their repairs then????
£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - niceguyeddy
Yes they do break down but not as often as non Jap .

No more expensive to fix if you know where to go.

Sorry no I wont pay as Im skint at the moment
£5,000 to spend, which Ford estate? - nick1975
There won?t be much in it purchase price wise. Probably depends on 2 things.

1. If your mate wants to save a few bob in running costs
2. If the focus is big enough ? how big are the kids and how often is he travelling fully loaded with them and the dog (and the wife?)

Because the focus is that bit smaller, it's just that little bit cheaper to run. Insurance is a group or 2 lower, it's bit less juicy, servicing it is a bit less, tyres and other consumables are a bit less.

But we are not talking big savings here to be honest, maybe £300-500 a year, I would guess on that mileage.

I have had both (Mondy was a hatchback though) and they are both very good.

Currently running a 1.6 petrol Focus Estate and it?s brilliant.

Might also come down to the amount of motorway work. Some find the focus a bit noisy for this, but point-to-point it?s more fun.