What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Too Good To Be True? - ndr116
I have a friend who has spotted a privately listed Mercedes A-Class in Autotrader. It is about £2K under the Glass's website's guide price (adjusted for mileage) which would make me walk away. I don't want to post the ad because it might be completely genuine but the basic details are that the car is coming up to its 3rd birthday but has the mileage you might expect on its 10th birthday. It?s has full MB service history.

I?ve told the friend to contact the dealer who carried out the servicing and, when they look at the car tonight, to note the VIN on the body and the engine (any pointers to where these might be on an A-Class?) to make sure everything ties up before doing an HPI check. Am I too suspicious? Is there anything else they can do to make sure my suspicions are unfounded?

NDR
Too Good To Be True? - oilrag
Perhaps its cream crackered, due to the mileage?
Too Good To Be True? - oldnotbold
Of more concern would be an ad for a 10 year old car with mileage of a 3 yr old. Why would anyone lie about such a high mileage, unless it's done even more and been clocked back, of course?

What has it been doing to accrue so many miles?

PS It's red, and a diesel, priced at £3950 ;-)
Too Good To Be True? - oilrag
snip

Edited by oilrag on 03/04/2008 at 16:04

What has it been doing to accrue so many miles?

That is another question for the viewer to ask.

I think my concern is that, even with the high mileage the Glass's price was (if Oldnotbold might happen to win the prize) around £6K. I realise the guides us mortals access are never spot on, but 30% out? Would the lack of high mileage new-ish A-Classes on the market mean that the guide's price is more likely to be wide of reality?

NDR
Too Good To Be True? - pd
Is this one of the first new shape or last of the old shape? It'll make a big difference on the price.

If it is one of the very last old shape ones than the price is about right for an 05 diesel with about 100k.

A new shape 05 A160 CDI books at about 4650 trade with 100k.
Too Good To Be True? - Wee Willie Winkie
Well, using the VRN to do an HPI check (I can do them gratis) shows it a clear vehicle, with just the one owner.

Doesn't mean to say the vehicle is squeeky clean - it may have been in an accident that was not recorded....

If I was in the market for one of these I'd be very interested.
Too Good To Be True? - pd
It books at 4400 trade - not 6k. It is therefore cheap but not silly. Maybe they just want shot quick.

If its genuine then act quickly - it will not hang around.
Too Good To Be True? - Morris Ox
It could well be genuine, but see if the ad mentions anywhere that it's a Category D.
Thanks all for the input. I have passed all the data onto the friend, who did not see the car last night in the end, and leave it to their judgement. My unfounded suspicions were aroused by the valuation I got from the Glass's website (just as well they only charge £3.50).
Too Good To Be True? - Dynamic Dave
(just as well they only charge £3.50).

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61350