What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.8 verona - water getting into boot area - brikerr
I have water getting into my rear hatch, and don't know where it's coming from. The spare wheel well was half full of water. Has anyone had this problem. Thanks

{subject header made less vague}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2008 at 18:31

1998 mondeo verona 1.8 hatch - elekie&a/c doctor
Water entry on these usually comes in thro the rear light clusters.Remove the lamps and run a bead of silicone sealer around the perimeter.hth
1998 mondeo verona 1.8 hatch - brikerr
Thankyou. I changed the light cluster a while back and the water semms to be coming from that side so I'll do that tomorrow.
1998 mondeo verona 1.8 hatch - Richard Huddleston
Alternatively get some dense self-adhesive draught-excluder type stuff and put it on carefully - that way if it doesn't work you've not bonded the lens on with silicone

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/03/2008 at 18:45

Thankyou to you and everyone who replied. I siliconed the rear light cluster and the leak is gone. Much appreciated
1998 mondeo verona 1.8 hatch - mondeo lover
hi brikerr.
i had a 1.8 verona on a r reg and i had the same problem, i found mine was coming in around the boot seal, i took my rubber off and siliconed around both sides and put the rubber back on, plus as the doctor says i also had trouble with the rear light clusters, did exactly ashe says and it cured it. it may be wise to check that all the drain plugs are a tight fit , these are under the spare wheel, a couple of mine were loose so whils i had the silicone out i done these aswell. hope this helps.
kev
Thanks for your answer.Much appreciated. will silicone both, as you suggested.
1998 mondeo verona 1.8 hatch - Galaxy
I've done this job on my Mondeo in the past and I, indeed, used silicone sealer. I had to remove the original rear light seals as they had rotted and just putting sealer on the old seals didn't work. As a result, I had to put very thick beads of sealer on the rear of the light cluster. I actually used two, put one on, let it set a bit, and then another on top of the first to get enough depth to make a successful seal.

Silicone sealer is ok but I wouldn't like to have to remove the rear light cluster afterwards, it's very permanent. If I had to do the job again then I think I would use something which is only semi-permanent like mastik sealer, the sort which is used to seal windows in caravans. Can be purchased in a long strip from a camping/caravan shop.

Why you can't purchase new light seals from Ford I do not know. They only come with a complete rear light cluster, £75 last time I asked!

1998 mondeo verona 1.8 hatch - DP
I don't think you'll find a mk2 Mondeo with a dry boot which has not had this "mod" done.

The previous owner of mine had put a generous bead of mastic around both rear light clusters, and all the others I looked at had had similar work done.

It works a treat, and as the join to the bodywork is invisible with the tailgate closed, it doesn't matter too much if it's a little untidy.

Cheers
DP