2004 2.0 FSI (petrol) cooling system problems - gbroberti
We have a Seat Altea with cooling system issues. It started leaking water at 38000 miles, the dealer replaced the water pump. It has continued to leak water for a few months and after fobbing about air locks they are now saying there is a fault with the thermostat causing overpressuring. This doesn?t make sense as the water leaks from the car when stationary as well as when it is running, even when left for a week.

No steam is visible when looking at the engine, the water appears to be coming from the engine and not the radiator or header tank. The coolant is not showing signs of head gasket failure.

The only clue is that when starting the car a gurgle can be heard from the heater matrix in the dash.

I am concerned that we are about to embark on funding the dealer replacing the cooling system bit by bit.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Many thanks,

Tim Roberts
2004 2.0 FSI (petrol) cooling system problems - yorkiebar
Does the car lose much water?

Does it leak when engine is cold?

can you tell where water is leaking from? or what part/side of engine?

Did the water leak stop or slow, when water pump was fitted?

How much water does it lose over how much time/mileage?

Does the loss get more if it is driven or does it stay about the same?

Does the engine get warm properly (in actual use, not just the gauge) and evenly? All hoses hot etc?

Does the interior heater work ok? Gets hot ok?

Does the car take ages to get hot/warm, or too quick, or about what you would expect?
Cheers for the reply YB

It?s loosing about 1 pint a month at the moment, there is evidence of coolant on the undertray below the left had side of the engine.

Before the water pump was replaced it was very clear that the water was coming from the cambelt part of the engine. Now it?s not so clear, the dealer is adamant that the water pump is no longer leaking.

The rate of loss appears to be time and not mileage related.

The engine gets warm at its normal rate and stays rock solid at 90 degrees on the gauge. I?ve got no evidence that the engine temp is anything other than normal. The heater works fine apart from the gurgle sometimes on startup.

I?ll have a look at hoses tonight. Any ideas where the thermostat is located on this engine?
2004 2.0 FSI (petrol) cooling system problems - yorkiebar
If there is water loss from water pump area of engine then I suggest dealer needs to look at that area before undertaking any further work?

If there is evidence of water leaking onto undertray, it cannot be too hard for them to be precise about where leak is from?
2004 2.0 FSI (petrol) cooling system problems - piston power
May be something as simple as a hose clip, core plug leaking from when it was freezing weather, or a hose?

Either way a pressure test is required by pumping air into the system and check for leaks..

Take it back or to another garage..
To follow up in case anyone has the same problem in future:

The car starting dripping regularly yesterday and I managed to trace it to where the plastic coolant pipe connects to the cylinder head on the right had side of the engine.

I found a useful document www.mk5gli.com/downloads/2.0t.pdf which shows the cooling system on page 14 which helped understand where to look.

2 coolant leaks on a 3.5 year old car in 6 months. Not impressed.