What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 2.0 high fuel useage on long runs - eastenddoy
a 2000cc on w year 2000 with 31000 miles on the clock
i just done a long trip and i have use 3/4 of tank of fuel it was 264 miles round trip. i have done more than that when i went to york the round trip was 400 miles i have just serviced the car belts,plugs, oil and filters could the lombard (or lambda even ? PU) sensor be at fault giving a high fuel usage.
around town i am getting about 22 miles to the gallon

Edited by Pugugly on 14/03/2008 at 19:38

00 2.0 high fuel useage on long runs - craig-pd130
Have a check in the air filter box that the filter fits right & isn't blocked etc ... also follow the wire from the lambda sensor to where it plugs into the loom. When you find the plug, unplug & replug it a few times in case the connection is dirty.

Try doing the same with the connector plug on the MAF sensor (next to the air filter box)

If that doesn't work it could worth trying a new sensor.
00 2.0 high fuel useage on long runs - AlastairW
TBH your fuel economy doesn't seem that bad. I get worse figures from a 1.8 even just after a service, so I wouldn't worry.
00 2.0 high fuel useage on long runs - FocusBoy
I would try the lambda sensor. I have a 2.0 2001 focus and get 40-43mpg on motorway runs and never less than 30mpg on purely town runs.

After the Tesco fuel problems almost a year ago I had a sudden drop in economy, dropped to 33mpg on the motorway and 25 in town. Tried a few things exactly as suggested above and it turned out my lambda sensor was covered in a white deposit. It turned out my Tesco was affected and luckily all I needed was a new sensor (There were some rumours of Vauxhalls and Mercs needing new cats etc). As a temporary fix I soaked it in engine cleaner but I did get a new one straight away and it solved that problem.