What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2004 tdci 70k starting problem judder - Graz
When I turn the key the engine does not fire properly, the lights on the the come on and the engine locks in a judder, then when I try again its ok.

If the car has been left overnight its usually ok, I usually get the problem when I drive a short distance ie 2-5 miles leave the the car for a while and need to start it again.

This is an occasional problem

Any thoughts

Thanks

Edited by Webmaster on 09/03/2008 at 12:35

2004 tdci 70k starting problem judder - Screwloose
Graz

Manual or auto?
Hi,

Manual

Cheers

Get the starter removed and checked for metal fragments in it's nose.

If they are there; then it's a new dual-mass flywheel.
Is this likely to cost a lot?

Also is it likely under extended warranty.

Thanks

G
Graz

If it's that; well into four figures. The warranty should cover the DMF job; but you may have to haggle over a new starter and you'll be paying for the new clutch kit yourself. Don't be tempted to leave the old clutch in.
2004 tdci 70k starting problem judder - Red Baron
Not necessarily a DMF disaster.

See my previous threads on starter and injector problems. I did have a starter fail for whatever reason, it was replaced, this then failed 10,000 miles later...DMF would still have been in good condition if it were not for the duff replacement starter taking the DMF out too.

I also have had new software with a wider calibration range downloaded for the worn injectors. Although I had starting problems from cold, not hot.