What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 1.25 Mk4 si using alot of oil - leegareththomas
Just checked my my oil and it does not even show up on the dipstick, i topped the oil up only 3 weeks ago, so what could be causing it to use so much oil? the engin looks clean and no oil under the car when left over night, any suggestions would be great.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/02/2008 at 14:07

Mk 4 1996 fiesta 1.25 si using alot of oil - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

Is the exhaust smokey ie Blue on startup.

Did the Oil light come on.

Another cause could be dried up valve stem seals.

Martin Winters

"Iam not a mechanic"
Mk 4 1996 fiesta 1.25 si using alot of oil - L'escargot
Any idea how many miles per pint (or whatever) this equates to?
Mk 4 1996 fiesta 1.25 si using alot of oil - leegareththomas
Its gives off a little smoke when its starts off in the morning but i thought that was cos of the cold weather, i live quite high up and every morning the car is covered in ice, the smoke is more white than anything, and during the day when i start it i gives of no smoke at all. As for the amout of oil i would say between 1 and 2 liters and i have driven around 1,000 miles in the 3 weeks maybe 1,500 at a push?
Mk 4 1996 fiesta 1.25 si using alot of oil - oilrag
So it could be one litre in 1,500 miles.. and its a 12 year old fiesta. Some might say that`s not bad. What mileage has it done OP?

Regards
Mk 4 1996 fiesta 1.25 si using alot of oil - leegareththomas
Its done 112,000 miles, if its just the age of the car i can live with that just dont want anything to be wrong as i had the clutch replaced 2 weeks ago which cost £ 220 and as you say the car is old so dont really want to spend any more out on it, and to be far apart from the clutch going (it was the original clutch so did well to last over 110,000 miles) ive had no problems, had its MOT in January and passed with no faults at all and not even an advisory note.
Mk 4 1996 fiesta 1.25 si using alot of oil - shadyarea
do a compression test sister has got 1997 1.4 zetec 16v hers was using oil like yours
cylinders 3+4 was well low squirted little bit of oil in cylinders done test again
compression was up took off head bores was good oil control rings had lost there
temper (common fault iv been told) fitted new rings honed bores put back together new
head gasket and stretch bolts £140 in total all was fine except failed mot on emissions oil that had been burnt over time had killed the cat fitted new 1 passed mot car is
now fine.