What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - sparklymarkly
Depending who you speak to, there appears to be different answers so can anyone please help me with a definitive one?
My Dad's Focus 1.8 Zetec is now 7.5 years old but it's only done about 47000 miles from new (he's retired!).
I told him that it must be due a cambelt swap as it's never had one. Having studied the handbook it seems to imply that it should be done at 5yrs or 50k. He mentioned the cambelt to his local garage when booking a routine annual service but was told that it only needs a belt swap at 10yrs or 100k! From what I could find in the handbook, it is only a Zetec E engine (1.4 & 1.6) that has a 10yr/100k limit and the 1.8 is 5yr/50k.
It seems odd that a garage would turn down work (obviously not a main dealer!) when a customer is happy to pay for it, but I am just a bit unsure about what is actually right as I don't wish my Dad's pistons to say "hello" to his valves any time soon!
Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - trevoryz426
the belt needs changing at 100k or ten years that is the recomended schedule . it will not fail i have been working on fords for many years and one has never failed , any one who tells you different is being over careful and wasting your money
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - daveyjp
"it will not fail".

Tell that to a colleague whose Focus cambelt gave up the ghost at 5 years and 50,000 miles.
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - sparklymarkly
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll pass it on...
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - Viz
Just to say I have the same car, same age. I had my cam belt changed at 92k miles One of the pulleys had 2 splits around the circumference. It was changed just in time I imagine !
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - henry k
I had my cam belt changed at 92k miles One of the pulleys had 2 splits around the circumference.
It was changed just in time I imagine !

>>
The usual advice is have a cambelt kit fitted - this includes the pulleys.

The service book for my S/H Mondeo 2.0 Zetec indicated the belt was changed at 80K.
It was changed again just in time at 111K. One of the pulleys had two spilts across the width and the plastic "skin" fell off just after it had been handed to me.

I can only assume that at 80K only the belt was changed.
2000 1.8 Zetec petrol - cambelt advice - FocusBoy
I have a 2001 model 2.0 Focus at just over 50000 miles and plan to to the change at 10 years. If I still have the car then I will also be fitting the full cambelt kit with the tensioner/pulley wheel, as I believe on zetecs in 99% of cases this is the piece that fails, not as many people think the cambelt snapping. I must say though I am not overly concerned and don't feel there is any need to do it early. Also your engine should have the revised cam-belt setup which was introduced in Jan 99 where they deleted the lower idler pulley.