What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - mgb
Hi all,

Just bought an 06 Focus 1.8 diesel and I've noticed when I turn the ignition off, the engine carries on going for about a second, during which the engine car shakes a bit... is this normal for diesels, or indicates some sort of a fault?!

cheers,
MGB
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - Roly93
I dont want to appear alarmist, but on some diesels this can be the sign of a serious turbo problem. It can be the engine continuing to run on oil leakage from the turbo seals. I haven't heard of this on a Ford, but some Turbo diesel Astra's are known for un-controlled run on after engine switch-off.
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - rtj70
Someone will be along with real knowledge but I'd sat stop driving and get it checked. Sounds like the engine is continuing to run on oil from somewhere!

The fact someone sold an 06 diesel that has this problem.... the might have been avoiding getting it fixed.
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - Screwloose

It's a known fault on common-rails. You can't switch them off directly; only initiate shutdown. For safety reasons, the ECU won't stop the engine until it sees a safe pressure in the rail.

When you switch off, it shuts the regulator and continues to fire the injectors until the fuel-rail pressure sensor tells it the pressure's dropped.

If either the regulator sticks or the FRP sensor's telling porkies; then it keeps running until it physically runs out of fuel.

As this is under warranty; get Ford to sort it.
Oh great. Not good then :(
Thanks for all the replies! I'll see what the ford people say about it...
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - 547HEW
If you havent done this already I would suggest checking oil level on dipstick. Not unknown for them to be over filled by mistake.

Oil looks ok (apart from being pitch black - is this normal for diesels again?! I'm a diesel noob.)
3/4 full.
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - Grease_monkey
My dads got the same car and it does exactly the same as you've described when you turn the key to off. The explaination screwloose gave sounds logical.
As for the oil diesel oils go black fairly quickly due to the bye products of diesel combustion (fine soot) I would though top up the oil to max myself if it's 3/4 full. 5w30 goes in ford engines. cheap enough from ford themselves too.
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - cheddar
Reckon it is totally normal, afterall it is only a second, reckon the reason is as described by Screwloose though I would not say it is a fault, rather a design feature to releive the pressure in the fuel rail upon shut down. After all it is only a second!

Just to be sure no harm asking the dealer.
Thanks for the info everyone - great forum this!
I'm booked into local Ford dealer for tomorrow - will update here with any results...
Cheers,
Martin
Well, the Ford garage said nothing was wrong.
Since then I've spoken to a few people and (as mentioned above) it looks like this is accepted as a 'quirk' of diesel Ford's.. :o
06 Focus 1.8 tdc: engine continues after turn off - drivewell
Mine too.....

My '05 Mondeo 130 TDCi does this. Never knew why - thanks, Screwloose & Cheddar, for the explanation. Mine continues to do it, and has just had it's fuel pump replaced.
It only does it for like a second, so I'm trusting that it's a feature, not a failure.

Edited by drivewell on 06/02/2008 at 14:28