2.0 Zetec Auto - running cold! - Turtle1966
Having read through many threads here over the years, I understand that Zetecs like to run cool rather than hot, but mine has just started to run cold!

The temp gauge barely gets to the top of the cold marker, even when in traffic. I can hear the fans cutting in, even though the gauge is still not up to "normal".

I have two questions, if anyone can help with some advice!

1) Is it going to be a problem to continue driving it?
2) Is there anything obvious that would cause this?

I'm thinking maybe the thermostat is stuck open? Coolant isn't getting a chance to warm to full temperature as it is going through the rad constantly? Would the system really be able to supercool in this way, even on a motorway run or in traffic?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

S
2.0 Zetec Auto - running cold! - DP
If the fans are cutting in when in you're in traffic, that suggests to me that the engine is running at its correct temperature and the gauge is telling lies, pointing to either a gauge or a sender fault.

Is it using any more fuel than normal? If the engine is running cold, it will spend more time on choke, and this can have a drastic effect (doubling) of fuel consumption depending on your driving conditions. If it's returning the same MPG as always, that's another suggestion of a gauge fault.

Based on my experiences with my mk2 Mondeo, Ford gauges become very inaccurate with age and miles.

Cheers
DP
That sounds like it may be good news!

The fuel consumption was actually very good, I tripped it on purpose as soon as I noticed the "fault" and it seemed to be doing better than I had come to expect!

Maybe it is just the gauge or the sender?! Any way of testing, to be sure?
2.0 Zetec Auto - running cold! - mfarrow
Maybe it is just the gauge or the sender?! Any way of testing to be
sure?

Are you getting hot air out the vents?

If yes then guage or sender. My money's on sender.
Definitely not cold air in the vents, but maybe not as hot as before? Certainly warms the car!

Would it be recommended to get a new sender from a scrapyard or elsewhere? (ebay, dealer?) I'm not sure what it entails, but I guess thats the place to try first. It has happened very suddenly, I would think the gauge would deteriorate over time?

It doesn't sound expensive to replace the sender?

Thanks for all your help! My mind is at ease that I can at least continue driving it!
2.0 Zetec Auto - running cold! - 547HEW
probably the sender. Best to get new part from Ford dealer, as used may be on the way to failing. Not expensive either - £15 odd inc VAT