What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Oil leak on '05 TDCi (130) - fuel pump replaced - drivewell
My '05 plate, 39K mile 130 bhp TDCi was in last Friday having new CV joint outer boots replaced (torn when gearbox taken out to lubricate input shaft - clutch not disengaging and making gear selection difficult). Also had replacement hose from thermostat to expansion tank, since original hose had detached from its clips along the top of the radiator, and fallen down to a position where a pump pulley had cut through it. Oh... and also asked them to look at source of oil leak, as a small quantity of what looked like engine oil was gathering on the bottom of the aircon compressor. CV boots and hose were replaced, but I was told, upon collection, that they needed the car in for two days, "to strip engine down to get at oil leak". So booked it back in for yesterday morning.

Picked it up an hour ago, asked what they had done, and was told (by service receptionist) "They replaced the fuel pump".

Is this likely to have been the main high pressure common rail pump? Aircon compressor is at front of engine, down low on driver's side. I haven't taken the engine shroud off to have a look - it is bucketing rain here. And I'm not aware of any other fuel pump on this engine.

This, and everything else has been warranty work. So, has mentioning a slight oil leak won me a new common rail pump? I tend to think it has!
Oil leak on '05 TDCi (130) - fuel pump replaced - cheddar
So has mentioning a slight oil leak
won me a new common rail pump? I tend to think it has!

Seems like it!

The pump is on the right handside kind of above the aircon compressor, mine has always had a slight oil leak in that area, just a slight misting over many 000's of miles so never worried about it.
Oil leak on '05 TDCi (130) - fuel pump replaced - Screwloose

Sounds very like it; as cheddar says, it's right above it and leaks are not unknown.
Oil leak on '05 TDCi (130) - fuel pump replaced - drivewell
postscript:

dry this morning, so had a chance to take engine shroud off. Delphi remanufactured pump in place. Can only hope re-manufactured is manufactured to the same standard as new. Come to think of it, might be better - they may have incorporated some improvements!!
Oil leak on '05 TDCi (130) - fuel pump replaced - bogjumper
I have just bought at auction an 02 TDCI and been caught. On collection the vehicle was very difficult to start and the glow plug flashing which I put down to the glow plug itself malfunctioning as there was nothing in the manual. I got home with difficulty.
I checked this site and found that this had happened to others and was subject to a confidential Ford doc which advised dealers that if this happened it would require the fuel pump to be replaced and/or the injectors,the tank and fuel lines cleared. Ford dealer now quotes up to 2500 sterling to fix. Thats what I paid for the vehicle. #Sounds like you deal with a reasonable garage as I believe Ford should pay for obvious faulty parts.
Any chance of finding what cost of reconditioned pump . 1000 from Ford for new. And any advice welsome

Thanks
bogjumper

As you've found; buying any common-rail secondhand - and particularly at an auction - is as risky as tap-dancing in a minefield. The moment that they go wrong, people don't fix them, they just get rid - fast.

The flashing glow-plug light is just a generic warning that there's one of several thousand different codes stored in the ECU's memory.

If it is something nasty like the pump; then it will cost around that £2500 figure - the failing pump contaminates the whole system with fragments of hardened steel that will trash any new components in short order if the whole system [pump, injectors, rail, tank, lines, filter unit] isn't replaced.

There are no re-conditionable bits - and any advertized are just cleaned-up failed ones.
Evening Screwloose

The nightmare gets bigger. Thank you for your reply. I am mad that Ford put in bad equipment when they advertise 'long life assurance' in big letters. Why havent we got a Ralph Nader.

Cheers

BJ
BJ

It's not just Ford. Merc; BMW; Mazda; Land-Rover; Peugeot; Renault; Vauxhall - and soon VW? - all have various common-rail nightmares on their hands.

Nobody fixes them - many can't be fixed; they just float around like a grenade with the pin out until they eventually end up - unwarranted - at auction.

Did you not know this? Auctions are highly dangerous places for the uninformed.
Hi Screwloose

I had bought successfully on a previous occasion and was prepared to entertain some repairs/servicing etc. But this actually amounts to semi legalised fraud and people should be given all the facts and time to examine vehicles more closely. But thanks anyway for your comments. I leave you hopefully wiser but certainly sorrier.

cheers
BJ

I take it that this one didn't come "with warranty" then? It's pretty limited; but, typically, at least it allows you to back the car within 24hrs for undisclosed faults.

The other main reason common-fails turn up at auction is that they've been misfuelled [which can wreck the pump] and that's hardly the manufacturer's fault.

"Legalized fraud" describes many an auction perfectly. The ability to off-load a "wrong 'un" - without comeback - is a rare thing in this "sanitized for your protection" society.
Oil leak on '05 TDCi (130) - fuel pump replaced - Number_Cruncher
>>The ability to off-load a "wrong 'un"....

My father used to buy cars from auction - typically one or two per month, from Rothwell, where he was known as a regular. He used to say that all the cars were there for a reason, and that he would only bid once he understood the reason, and the likely implications.

Once or twice, he did get caught out, but, he would just enter the car into the next sale at Brighouse or Walton Summit.

Number_Cruncher