What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2004 TDCi - Mat related safety issue. - mondeo1306
DONT LAUGH

3 times this has happened

mat in drivers floor well slides forward, goes under steering column UJ, the bolt comes round when the steering wheel turns the shaft and ive no steering (almost)

the only car ive ever had this happen on

be warned

mat now in the boot

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/01/2008 at 18:49

Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - paulb {P}
Rubber mats, by any chance? The carpet ones in mine (kosher Ford accessory) have 2 anchors that screw into the carpet and seem pretty effective.
Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - jc2
I've got Ford(kosher) rubber mats that are shaped to fit the space and don't move.
Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - cheddar
Mat should be secured, not a car issue at all.

Some years ago a colleague complained over many months as to how gutless their company Cav 1.7 TD was, I had a similar one so one day took theirs for a drive, as soon as I got in it I moved the mat from under the accelerator pedal and all seemed normal to me. They were well chuffed.
Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - Pugugly {P}
See I'd charge a lot of money for that fix in my line of work - you know move the metaphorical mat from under the accelerator pedal and everyone goes "ooooooh !"
Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - cheddar
See I'd charge a lot of money for that fix in my line of work
- you know move the metaphorical mat from under the accelerator pedal and everyone goes
"ooooooh !"

Not exactly parting the red sea PU, and not many a TD Cav has made anyone go oooooh either ! Good solid car though.
Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - mondeo1306
standard halfords £17 mats, i shall tie the drivers to the seat subframe, that should fix it
Mondy Mk3, strange safety issue... - rtj70
I got Ford mats specifically for the Mondeo for less than that a few years ago at the Ford dealership. All four and the driver matched up with the fastenings on the floor.

Edited by rtj70 on 02/02/2008 at 22:37