What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 2.0 duratec ticking on acceleration- ruined? - 1anmac
Hello all,

I have a 2L mondeo 2001 estate in superb condition with 63k on the clock. Ive owned it about 4 months, 5k miles.

It had a stalling prob when i bought it which was cured by new plugs, oil (5w30), filters and leads.
It has been using more oil than i would have thought was correct and has now developed a rather loud tick from the engine when accelerating and a little when idling. It sounds like its coming from right inside the block and I'm very concerned! It is only very faint when cold and worse when hot. Sounds like a valve tapping but its not.

Any ideas? I took it too a trusted garage who said without taking it to bits there was very little that could be done to pinpoint the problem. Ill book it in for a pressure test in the cylinders etc.

Should i just keep driving it till it gives in, whilst searching for a secondhand engine?

Whats best second hand or recon and what would an engine cost? While its out i suppose a new clutch would be sensible also?

This is a disaster as im currently skint/moving house/wife having a new baby and cant be without a car!

Heeeeeeeeeeeelp

Thanks Ian

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 06/01/2008 at 10:50

01 2.0 duratec ticking on acceleration- ruined? - TurboD
I have a 2l duratec estate, but 2005. If you read HJ's car by car guide you will see that there is a problem with these cars of your vintage. Is it the inlet butterfly?, if so get it fixed quick or the engine will ingest the bits and you will need a new engine- expensive .
It is best to check out car faults on HJ before buying - not after, but then of course nothing is perfect?
01 2.0 duratec ticking on acceleration- ruined? - 1anmac
Thanks for that, Ill have the garage have a look at it again this week. Ill try and use it as little as possible. It is getting worse but very slowly.

Might have to buy another cheap mondeo for running about in. Last one cost me 2 grand and lasted 5 years with 4 faultless mot passes.

Even if i had read honest johns mondeo comments i still would have bought the car as it was fine back then and at a good price.

Thanks for your input.

Ian