What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.4 Zetec - Running Problems - Hairyeel
My Fiesta Mk4 has started to lack power and hesitates on acceleration. I've changed the spark plugs & fuel filter. I've also checked the air filter which is a K&N and just been cleaned.

When ticking over at 950rpm it feels lumpy and when trying to accelerate is holding back the power.

No blows from any of the exhaust areas but the note of the rear silencer is different.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2007 at 21:13

Fiesta Mk4 1.4 Zetec 1999 - Running Problems - Screwloose
Is it running on three cylinders at idle? Coilpack failures are common and can kill the ECU in short order.

Edited by Screwloose on 27/12/2007 at 17:51

Fiesta Mk4 1.4 Zetec 1999 - Running Problems - Hairyeel
Seems to be running to all 4 at idle. What's the easiet way to check that?

Should I try a new set of leads as well?

Can I reset the ECU??
Forgot to add. It was runnig as normal then I hit a bump in the road and it went strange from then on.

That's a useful piece of info; is the exhaust gas exiting the tailpipe lethargic and very hot? The cat may have shattered and blocked.

Yes, lethargic like a beating drum.

I'm just popping out now again and I will feel if the tailpipe gas is very hot.

Cheers
Yes, the tailpipe is lethargic and pretty hot gases are coming out (engine fully warmed up)

Is replacing a Cat a garage only job? I 've already replace my centre and rear box and have front ramps etc.

What do you think?

Once it's fully cool; give the cat a bump with your hand and see if it rattles.

Replacing it [if that is the problem] isn't too hard - just the usual grief with seized nuts etc.
Many thanks