What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 1.25 locked out after battery change. - carl24488
tried to put battery in after recently changing whole engine gearbox and clutch. had to jump it because it was dead but when i connected the leads the battery sparked into life and locked my car...

heres the bad bit, not knowing it would do this,,, (i dont know a lot about cars) i left my keys in the car... GREAT... now its blocking neighbours drive and i cant get in... spare keyfob and key were not given when i bought the car and i havent had chance to get a copy...

breaking the small rear window looks tempting,,, ive tried the coathanger but its hard because the door handle goes into the door curvature.

is it easy to replace the small rear window?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/12/2007 at 20:32

98 1.25 locked out after battery change. - Screwloose

Call an auto locksmith or a breakdown service.

You can move a locked car on a trolley jack - if you're careful. [Can give hours of fun in a tow-away zone...]
98 1.25 locked out after battery change. - Armitage Shanks {p}
screwloose has given you the correct answer, of course. I am impressed that a man who says he doesn't know much about cars has changed an engine, gearbox and clutch. Respect!
98 1.25 locked out after battery change. - gordonbennet
We get this problem a lot virtually all fords and no doubt some other makes WILL lock themselves if you connect jump leads or new battery to the dead car with doors closed.

Why is it that things like this always happen at the most inconvenient time of year.

good luck.

{8< snip - sorry Gordon, it's not in the best interests of letting those that don't yet know how to break into cars - er, how to (if you get my drift) - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2007 at 01:07

98 1.25 locked out after battery change. - pmh
When I had to get in to my Mk4 in the middle of of a field,with a minimum of tools available, we elected to cut the rear screen surround out with a stanley blade that was available. Cost about ?50 for the new rubber. But dont drop the glass!

Alternatively find yourself a selection of oldish keys from the same model, there is a very good chance that one will open it.

--

pmh (was peter)

98 1.25 locked out after battery change. - carl24488
hi all finally got in using coathanger, wont say how for those that dont know. and now after all this time i have my car working fully again... hurray!