What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
(98-04)1.8 Zetec. Dealer overfilling of engine oil - jp147
I had my Ford Focus 1.8 petrol serviced recently and the ford garage overfilled the oil by about 1/4 inch. I drove the car like this for about 200 miles before I realized and took it back to have some drained out. The oil level on the dipstick now when the engine is cold is 1 -2 mm about the maximum notch. I am not too bothered about this but would like someone to put my mind at rest. Also when I have run the engine for say 3 minutes from cold and then I check the oil, there are a few bubbles visible in the oil on the dipstick. Is this normal to have some bubbles after the engine has been run or does this mean that the crankshaft is whipping up the oil in the sump ?

Edited by Webmaster on 22/12/2007 at 15:10

Dealer overfilling of engine oil - jc2
1 to 2 mm.is OK.Even at 1/4" over ,it will be nowhere near the crank;if the crank was hitting the oil,it would be sucked into the crankcase ventilation system and the road behind the car would disappear in a cloud of smoke!!Oil is slopping up and down by more than 1/4" whenever you go round a corner.
Dealer overfilling of engine oil - The Gingerous One
On my Primera, whether the garage or local fast-fit outfit has changed the oil it has always been overfilled.

I drained a bit out once as I thought it was a bit too much but all the other times I've just left it and no harm has been done. I think mine must be 1/4" above the full mark but I'm sure it'll be alright (it's been on a long distance thrash since so that would have shown up any problems)
Dealer overfilling of engine oil - injection doc
Dipsticks are only a guide. I used to fill the sump as per the factory capacity, ie if it said sump fill with filter 3.3ltrs then thats what I would put in as it was measured on a gauge on the wall, but usually it iether be under or over on the dipstick.
Doc