What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
rear pads on 05 tdci hatch - ever changed them? - drivewell
Wondering if anyone on here has ever changed the rear pads on a 2004 onwards MKIII hatch? From reading the Haynes manual, I reckon I need both a left hand and a right hand piston rewind tool.

Anyone ever done the job who can comment?

Thanks
rear pads on 05 tdci hatch - ever changed them? - kithmo
I did them on my previous 2001 Mk3 and the piston has a hex hole in it for a large (might be 12mm IIRC) allen key. No "rewind tool" necessary, just push (hard) and turn, I actually used a straight allen key set that fits in a 10mm socket for mine.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
rear pads on 05 tdci hatch - ever changed them? - drivewell
Thanks for that.

Anyone know if 2004 onward is the same? - New Haynes manual (MKIII up to 2007) seems to suggest they changed the design.
rear pads on 05 tdci hatch - ever changed them? - cheddar
I have done them on my 2002 MkIII, the second new set, easy, just remember that they wind in is opposite ways on each side and there are marks to line up, Haynes very handy. Rear pads lasted about 60k then 50k IIRC.

Worth getting some silicone grease to grese the caliper sliders at the same time.
rear pads on 05 tdci hatch - ever changed them? - spikeyhead {p}
Use copperslip, not silicone grease
--
I read often, only post occasionally
rear pads on 05 tdci hatch - ever changed them? - cheddar
Use copperslip not silicone grease

>>

If you are going to contradict it is probably worth giving some rationale.

You can use copaslip though they have silicone grease from new and the caliper repair kit also features silicone grease.

To be clear, I am talking about the caliper sliders under the rubber boots, you should certainly use copaslip on the back of the pads etc.

Edited by cheddar on 13/12/2007 at 07:44