What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Small luxury cars? - Happy Blue!
I was overtaken by a Honda Goldwing this evening, and together with the thread about a car for tall bloke with a dodgy got me thinking.

I don't need a big car but I have got used to luxury and fine mechanicals. What I would really like is a small car which does the following: -

> Seats four people in comfort (but only need luggage space for two);
> Easy access into the cabin and good visibility;
> Absorbant ride but not too soft that handling is compromised too much;
> Superb interior trip quality;
> Full range of goodies that you would find on reasonably well specced Merc or Lexus; and
> Quality mechanicals including small but sweet engines (why not a six cylinder 2.0litre?)

In reality, if Mercedes produced an A-class with a better interior, engines and ride, it would be great. If Subaru produced a smaller, more space efficient Forester with better interior. If BMW produced a more space efficient 1-series. If the MINI had four doors, a better ride and better engines. If Lexus simply produced a 'mini' IS250.

Considering the number of retired people coming out of large executive saloons, I would have thought that a manufacturer could clean up a car with the attributes noted above. Do you agree?
Small luxury cars? - Marc
I'm sure a similar question has been posted before so I'm going to post the same answer - Panther Rio (miniature luxury car)

Didn't Audi intend this with the A2?
Small luxury cars? - Alby Back
There were two such vehicles in our family in the '70s.

1/ Wolseley Hornet....my first car, I know, not desperately cool !

2/ Van Den Plas Princess 1300 auto.....My Dad's retirement present to himself. He never quite looked right in it having been a "big" Volvo man prior to that.
Small luxury cars? - daveyjp
I've said before that your wish list is why I had an A2.

It fitted the bill (apart from the engine you would like, but the 1.6FSI was introduced) and look how long that lasted due to it being a small car with a high price tag - for some reason people think a high price tag should mean big car. All the A2 was compared on was price, yet it was a far superior vehicle than any Fiesta or Corsa as anyone who took a ride in mine commented.

Audi are trying again though with the A1 - due in 2009, but I've not seen a 4 door version yet.
Small luxury cars? - stunorthants26
Fact is, if you want a small car, you get less space. If you can deal with space issues and accept adequte space, then many top of the range superminis are suitable if not that cheap for what they are.

Id personally look to the Clio, 207 or Polo for those big car features although seriously pricey if you tick all the options boxes. To downsize id prob plump for the Polo.
Small luxury cars? - local yokel
> Quality mechanicals including small but sweet engines (why not a six cylinder 2.0litre?)

E21 3 Series had a lovely 2 litre six.
Small luxury cars? - nick1975
Depending on what 'small' means

Top Spec volvoc30/a3/Golf/Lean/Focus/Astra/Alfa 147 etc etc

Bit smaller

New Fabia Level 3? Fiesta Ghia or Corsa something X

Smallest

Fiat Panda Eleganza!!??

Edited by nick1975 on 06/12/2007 at 21:32

Small luxury cars? - nick1975
and wasn't there a smart 44 brabus?

sorry my mistake- the c30 mentioned above is a 2 door

Edited by nick1975 on 06/12/2007 at 21:43

Small luxury cars? - Ruperts Trooper
The ride deterioates naturally with small cars - it's all to do with smaller wheelbase, track and lower weight.

If you want quality ride and quality fittings, they don't do small sizes.

Top spec Astra, Focus, etc just have more equipment - they don't ride any better than their base model cousins nor are they better built.
Small luxury cars? - DavidHM
I'm not sure about the trim quality - although it feels subjectively pretty good - but this is as close as you're going to get IMO:

tinyurl.com/2gy85l
Small luxury cars? - Vansboy
Always thought the same, too - small doesn't mean no toys &lack of comfort/performance.

Way back in 86, when Mrs V had her Uno 70SL. OK not loaded with stuff, but compared to the same £$£$ you'd pay for a Fiesta, it had 5 doors, good seats, central locking & electric windows! The Ford didn't!!

VB
Small luxury cars? - gordonbennet
Cant understand why small should mean an awful ride which it invariably does.

Have a drive in a berlingo for imo one of the most comfortable and bump flattening rides of all time.

Maybe it doesnt tick the posh boxes though.

Trouble is the car testers have to blast each and every car at breakneck speed round the track, and woe betide any car that doesnt have the 'tuck in' or 'balance' thats so needed as you pootle down the shops or tiddle round the lovely Welsh lanes on holiday.

Wonder when the makers will reverse the oversizing of each consecutive new model, eg. vectra/mondeo are now monster cars with very little more room inside than cavalier/sierra.
Small luxury cars? - isisalar
Espada if you are looking at a new car to be built to your specification It think you should be looking at a 3series BMW ..Fits all your criteria. but are you bad mannered enough to drive one ?
Small luxury cars? - Bill Payer
There are a bunch of small SUV's coming which may well fit the OP's spec. Cars like BMW 1 series SUV and there's even a Mini "SUV" coming. Maybe even VW's Tiguan which is just about to be launched might fit the bill.

The latest Merc A Class gets pretty good reviews and seems to be considered to a lot better than the earlier ones, but seeing them spec'd up at £25k or so just seems ridiculous.

I think the Honda Jazz is a useful size - I've used ours with 4 adults and luggage on airport runs - and good quality. Its seats are a bit of an issue for some people but the new one (in the UK later next year) apparently has much improved seats. Loading it with luxury features though would make it look even more expensive than it already is.
Small luxury cars? - Avant
Thinking about it, Espada, the Audi A3 with the 2.0 petrol 197 bhp engine, probably in SE trim to get you the softer ride and standard wheels (which you could up-spec from the options list to get you the goodies you need), would tick most of your boxes, and more than anything else I can think of.

It's also not at all ostentatious and won't make your clients think you're doing too well.
Small luxury cars? - Westpig
X Type Sovereign
Small luxury cars? - cheddar
(why not a six cylinder 2.0litre?)

Firstly I thought you were talking about small cars?

Secondly a 6cyl engine is inherantly less torquey than a 4 or 8 cyl, particularly a straight 6, due to the spaces between intake pulses, and needs complex variable manifolds to compensate. Notable engines, Triumph 2000 straight six on a single carb, only 84 bhp and virtually zero torque, Lexus is200, early BMW 2.0 6cyl, Jag 2.0 V6 (actually a 2.1 though a world away from the 2.5 it is based on).

If augmented via vaiarble intake systems ets a 2.5 6cyl produces useful torque and power as well as refinement where as a 2.0 would generally be a dispointment on the flexibility front to anyone used to the inherantly flexible 4 cyl even though it would, or rather should be, more refined.

A 2.0 V8 might do though !
Small luxury cars? - Dipstick
I would say this wouldn't I - I'm getting boringly predictable. I appreciate all things are relative, but to my mind the Lexus IS250 you named yourself ticks all your boxes and IS a pretty titchy car?

>>the Lexus IS250 you named yourself ticks all your
boxes and IS a pretty titchy car?

Really?, small and luxury to me means more like Clio Priviledge etc.
Small luxury cars? - daveyjp
A3, BMW 3, Lexus? Someone needs to get the tape measure out! I moved UP from an A2 to an A3 (which to get four doors needs to be a Sportback which is longer than the 3 door model).

If someone posted on here saying they were looking for a small car for city work, easy to park, with respectable running costs would the same posters really come up with a list of a Focus, Astra and Golf?

From reading threads on such an issue they don't. Fiesta, Colt, Swift are always mentioned.

The only true small car (Fiesta, Colt, Swift) which offers luxury options on a par with it's larger stablemates is the A class and even this may be too large for some.
Small luxury cars? - smallfish

Mitsuoka Viewt - that strange Jag MkII meets Nissan Micra creation that only the Japanese could come up with... You'd have to be pretty brave to drive one in public though!

tinyurl.com/2xwon4
Small luxury cars? - normd2
my parents have the new MB A-class and my Auntie the older original one - the new one is far superior in every way - definately worth a look if you want a small luxury car. Wouldn't fancy doing DIY on it though...
Small luxury cars? - stunorthants26
The A-Class isnt a bad option, even if it is expensive because someone who is used to paying say £50k for a proper luxury car, would see £25k as cheaper by some margin.

The Merc also does come with many big-car options to give the toy-tally of a luxury car.
From speaking to owners, I understand the longer wheelbase works best, hence why many have moved up to a B-Class.

Only real issue is its width as a small car. But as a downsizing option from larger cars, its certainly worth a look if you can rationalise the pricing to yourself.
Small luxury cars? - Ruperts Trooper
Straight sixes like the Triumph and real Jaguar had enough "virtually zero torque" to be able to pull away in top gear from idle revs, at least the straight sixes I remember.

If find cheddars analysis is 4/6 cylinder engines confusing.
Small luxury cars? - normd2
RT - I find your post more confusing than Cheddars...
Small luxury cars? - Alby Back
Sorry to be a wee bit controversial, but this whole debate seems to me to call into question the very definition of "luxury" motoring. I of course recognize that we all have our differing needs and preferences, but when it comes down to "brass tacks" surely the factors which best define a cars' level of luxury are those which cause it to be more comfortable when transporting people and their stuff ?

I would therefore contend that a small luxury car is to a great extent a misnomer in that by dint of sheer physics it is not as capable of transporting humans and their possessions in as comfortable and versatile a manner as a larger one.

My view is that a small car is at its best when it is a pragmatic and utilitarian transport solution, mainly aimed at cost and space saving. If you want luxury, why not have it with a bit of "elbow room" ?

For what its worth we run two types in our family. A biggish estate with all the toys as the main car, and a basic hatchback for short distance town/city/spare use.

What's the old saying ? ....."Horses for Courses".
Small luxury cars? - Number_Cruncher
I'm also not sure about the analysis.

It may be better to find some comparable engines - i.e. similar technology, similar states of tune, similar design philosophy and vehicle usage class.

For example, Mercedes Benz tend to make engine families, where the engine layout of the 4, 5, and 6 cylinder engnes are the same.

So, as an example,

M102.962 2 litre 4 cylinder 122BHP - 61 BHP per litre
M103.980 3 litre 6 cylinder 177BHP - 59 BHP per litre

When expressed in specific terms, not a huge amount of difference! This doesn't seem to support Cheddar's assertion.

Number_Cruncher

Small luxury cars? - tyro
Two questions that this raises in my mind.

1) Why do you want a small car?

2) How do you define "small" - i.e. how small is small?

M102.962 2 litre 4 cylinder 122BHP - 61 BHP per litre
M103.980 3 litre 6 cylinder 177BHP - 59 BHP per litre
When expressed in specific terms not a huge amount of difference! This doesn't seem to
support Cheddar's assertion.

NC, it is a matter of torque at lower revs do you have the respective torque figures or ideally curves?

>>NC, it is a matter of torque at lower revs

If the engine power is comparable at comparable revs, then the torque follows - you can't have one without the other.

Number_Cruncher
>>NC it is a matter of torque at lower revs
If the engine power is comparable at comparable revs then the torque follows - you
can't have one without the other.

Agreed NC though between the two engines power may be comparable at high revs and not at low revs.
>two engines power may be comparable at high revs and not at low revs.

With low tech engines, like the ones I'm quoting, it's extremely unlikely. Typically, wou would expect the low speed torque curve to be fairly flat (until gas dynamic effects and port choking take over at high speed, there isn't much going on), and if the torque curve is flat, the the power curve is similarly defined.

I've mentioned this before, but I would *seriously* recommend you look up a series of articles by SS Tresilian (former chief designer [engines] at Rolls-Royce) about comparative engine design. They are also presented in edited form in the book, Gasoline Engine Analysis by J Fenton.

Number_Cruncher
I don't know the full engine code for these, but as far as I can tell, they are comparable, they certainly were put into the same car. There's definitely no variable manifold trickery going on!

M102.xxx 2 litre 4 cylinder 116BHP - 58 BHP per litre 127 lbf ft - 63.5 lbf ft per litre
M103.yyy 3 litre 6 cylinder 178BHP - 59 BHP per litre 188 lbf ft - 62.7 lbf ft per litre

Still not a great deal in it.

Do you have a reference for the poor performance of inline sixes?

Number_Cruncher

Do you have a reference for the poor performance of inline sixes?

Yes somewhere though I have not found it yet.

Do you have the rpm at which max torque is produced for these two?

From memory the issue is that a 4 stroke inline 6cyl fires every 120deg, with regard to valve timing, specifically duration, this means that one inlet valve is still open though closing while another is opening, likewise on the exhaust side, this upsets gas flow/speeds, pressures (rather vacuum on the inlet side) and scavenging. This is aplicable to a single carb or FI system with a single throttle body, twin carbs largely negate this issue because they are effectively run as 2 x 3 cyls. 6 into 2 into 1 exhaust manifolds / systems also help.

More to follow if I can find it.
>>run as 2 x 3 cyls...

This issue of inter-valve overlap will happen with any single manifold, single throttle body engine without 360/180 spacings, it's not a purely 6 cylinder thing. It's just extremely unusual to find engines with more than six cylinders of any layout that use a single path manifold. It's also extremely unusual to find a modern six cylinder engine with a purely single manifold - manifolds which switch between 6 and 2 x 3 layouts are now almost normal - our 1995 E300D even has this!

Looking at 1950, and 1960's inline sixes with small single carburettors and peashooter inlet and exhaust manifolds, and it's no mystery that they were a bit asthmatic!

Number_Cruncher

>>Do you have the rpm at which max torque is produced for these two?

No, I don't have that info - but, I would fall off my chair if there were any significant difference between the two.

Number_Cruncher

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 07/12/2007 at 20:24

but I would fall off my chair >>

Giving this some further thought and trawling my memory as Google is not helping the following seems to make some sense:

On an inline 6 as one cylinder is 120 deg into the induction stroke the next cylinder in the firing order is commencing its induction stroke thus creating additional vacuum in the inlet manifold for the final 60 deg of each cylinder's induction strokes.

This effect is negated if the next cyl in the firing order is on a different inlet manifold.

Likewise as one cylinder is 120 deg into the exhaust stroke the next cylinder in the firing order is commencing its exhaust stroke thus creating additional pressure in the exhaust manifold for the final 60 deg of each cylinder's exhaust strokes.

This effect is negated if the next cyl in the firing order is on a different exhaust manifold.

However on a 4cyl engine one cylinder has completed its induction stroke and is at BDC before the next to fire commences its induction stroke, likewise one cylinder has completed its exhaust stroke and is at TDC before the next to fire commences its exhaust stroke.
Small luxury cars? - Ed V
I'd have thought the C class Sports Coupe fits the bill. It's a decent [C Class] size inside, but shorter than its namesake, and wing-mirrors pop in to keep it narrow enough for parking/garage etc. Rear seats [two separate] lie flat to create a large boot for two people. Engines and spec are multiple for 3.2 [6 cylcinder, faster than most could cope with] down to the 1.8 classed as a 160. Sports suspension and 17" tyres spoil a soft ride, but its horses for courses so go for the 16" if you prefer, as on the SE.

I think BMW missed a trick in not making its MINI Clubman a better thought through car, since a small estate ticks lots of boxes for lots of people. What happened to a Polo estate, which did the job in the 80s?

The marketing boys that insist on each suceeding model being larger than it s predecessor do make life complex.

Just reviving this thread as I sat in a Nissan Note today.

It seems to tick almost all the boxes. It is small but not too small on the outside and with a great deal of pasenger space in the inside making use of the sliding rear seats. I don't need a large boot, so the boot was small and the rear legroom huge. It is well fitted out with bluetooth on the radio and lots of useful toys as well as lots of storage. I would say that the only things missing in terms of kit are heated seats and satnav. As it has cloth seats, the heaters are not vital and I can get TomTom for about £200.

The engine is a decent 1.6 and comes with a Nissan (not Renault) autobox. Pity its not a nice 2.5 V6, but you can't have everything.

Am I missing anything apart from fuel bills?

Small luxury cars? - Collos25
Has the SVE not got a built in Sat nav probably a lot dearer than a Tom Tom mind you.
Small luxury cars? - Bilboman
Now that Lancia are on their way back into RHD markets, how about an Ypsilon or Musa?
(Based on Fiat Punto and Idea) www.lancia.com/cgi-bin/lancia.dll/LANCIA_COM/home....#
Spiritual successor to the Vanden Plas Princess, Renault 5 Baccara and the like...
Or import a LHD one and be the first in your road!!
Small luxury cars? - Cheeky
Pug 206 Roland Garros. Loaded with gear.
Small luxury cars? - Avant
Depends what your budget is, Espada. If I were in the market for this size of car with your original priorities, I'd stick to my earlier suggestion of the Audi A3 2.0 FSI, but if that's out of range financially the Note would as you say tick most of the boxes. So might a Honda Jazz.

The A3's nearest rival is probably the Mercedes A200 as has been suggested above - this has more room in the back, the B-class even more. The BMW 1-series fails the 'seats 4 people' test, and fails it badly.

If you go for the A- or B-class, avoid the diesel: it fails the 'sweet engine' test' even more badly.
Small luxury cars? - ForumNeedsModerating
Hmmm... maybe a well preserved Vanden Plas 1300. Anyone remember the Vanden Plas?
(they made a 3-litre also,IIRC)

Small luxury cars? - El Hacko
Oh yes, owned dark blue one in late 70s - walnut (even rear picnic tables) and leather seats luxury.. but mechanical nightmare: autobox went when I cld least afford it
I just can't brink myself to drive an A3. It feels such a waste of money compared to a Golf and having sat in the back of an A4, there is far more room in the Note. Also, the Audi's tend to have too low profile tyres and too hard a ride.

The Jazz is a great car, but I like the length of the Note and its a bit different to the Jazz. Too many housewives drive them in our area for SWMBO to let me have one. The Merc A-class is another idea and there is an ideal almost new model on their website. I need to revisit that idea.

Finally I was out with two clients yesterday. All of us do about 10,000 miles pa and drive large, expensive and thirsty saloons or estates. We all said that we would do a lot better with an A-class or Note type car, but a) we can afford to buy and run them so why not and b) in an accident, we would rather be in a big car. I wonder if I have talked myself out a new car!
Small luxury cars? - movilogo
Just reviving this thread as I sat in a Nissan Note today.

I second that. Had this car for 7 days in Cyprus and it really ticks almost all boxes. It did have a 1.4L engine but interior was quite nice and ride was comfortable even for very long journeys.
Small luxury cars? - Collos25
Isn't a Nissan Note just a repanalled Renault .