What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - M.M
Glad to see the website and forum is still doing well in its new restful blueish look!

Anyone run a Mondeo Estate 2.0 petrol to know their real life fuel consumption?

Also I wonder what a trade sale (not p/x) value would be for a clean 51 plate Ghia with 86K and history up to 70K?

Thanks,

David

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/12/2007 at 19:01

51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - RobertyBob
I run an 2003 2.0l hatch version. According to the on-board computer I have averaged 40.3 mpg over the last 12 months/12k miles.

Most of my running is main road/motorway work; very little town work. The average dropped by 0.2 mpg after sitting for the best part of an hour in the M3 traffic jam between J7 & J8 this morning!

And yes I know the computer is not 100% accurate.
51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - DP
I run an 2003 2.0l hatch version. According to the on-board computer I have averaged
40.3 mpg over the last 12 months/12k miles.

If that's even remotely accurate, it makes me wonder why am I running a gutless diesel which only beats that by 5-6 mpg tops? If I could get 40 mpg from a 2.0 petrol Mondeo, I'd ditch diesel like a shot.

I too do 95% motorway / open road stuff.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by DP on 06/12/2007 at 15:57

51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Jono_99
I have just px'd my wifes '51 plate Mondeo - it was a 2.0l petrol, but an estate and in Zetec trim.

Real world fuel consumption - 35 / 36 mpg on a run (but that was fully loaded, with 3 kids and luggage for a couple of weeks on hols). Around town, I reckoned it was about 32 mpg.

We got £2k for it on PX; not sure what they were going to do with it, as it needed new bumpers front and rear, had a dent on the rear panel (from where the back window had been broken), and despite our best efforts, you could still tell that 3 kids had spent quite a bit of their time in the back eating and drinking inaccurately.....

It was a fantastic car though - never missed a beat, and apart from the front suspension (£80), and the passenger seat motor for height adjustment (£40), it required nothing except service items

Have now entered the lottery of TDCi ownership, but the 2.2 is a fantastic engine, and very economical - also full of toys with a Tittanium X spec

Hope that helps

Jon
51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - P E
Jon, what was the mileage on your old car when you traded it in?

P E
51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Jono_99
P E

73,000 from memory

Jon
51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Ford4u

Have a 2.0ltr zetec 2002 with only 37,600miles,i filled tank up and got 520,miles...80%motorway driving may have had influence on this result

51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Waino
My old mk2 ('97) 2L petrol estate does 35-36mpg on a long term average - though I can't give you the precise figure as I haven't brought it up to date for a couple of months. These figures are based on litres & miles - not an on-board 'computer'. The car has done over 142,000miles.

Yesterday, after 250 miles of motorway - an hour hardly moving and various little stops/starts for the job including several cold starts, 431 miles had cost me 51.71 litres i.e. 37.9mpg brim to brim. I reckon on a long steady run, it would be easy to achieve a true 40mpg. I believe what seriously affects mpg on the Mondeo (and SWMBO's Focus) is short runs from a cold start and, of course, driving too fast.

At one time, I thought that I'd be replacing it with a TDCi - but I've rather gone off that idea! I would seriously consider another 2L petrol.
51 Mondeo 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - f2
Hi M.M,

I run a 55 2.0l petrol estate and regularly get 41mpg on Motorway runs (fully loaded with passengers and luggage but maintaining a steady 75-80ish indicated mph). A and B roads I tend to average 34mpg and dropping to 29/30 for towns and short hops.

On very good A road journeys without passengers, the average can drop below the town figure - can't think why ;-)

f2

51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - shadyarea
i own a 2001 2.0i zetec done 120000 miles
i get about 30mpg around town live in plymouth
and regulary go to glasgow to visit wifes family
which is a 545 mile trip and can do it on 1 tank and
thats doing 80 to 90mph averaging about 43mpg
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - P E
I have a 2001 Y reg 2.0 petrol zetec estate. I get high 20's/low 30's mpg.
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - googolplex
I traded in my 03 plate TDCi 130 estate for the 2 litre petrol estate (after a year of four figure garage bills).

I used to get about 42 with the diesel, and currently get around 34 in the petrol. I haven' changed my driving style, and use a complete mixture of roads - town, country, the odd weekend trip using motorways. I always put my foot down, and rarely bother looking at mpg.

In response to Robertybob (above), whose mpg only fell by 0.2 in a traffic jam - remember that the computer reading is a long term average and only starts from zero when you cancel the memory by pressing on the dial. From a mathematical perspective, with a computer whose memory hasn't been cancelled for months, you could spend a whole day in a traffic jam and not see much difference in your mpg figure!
Splodgeface

Edited by splodgeface on 07/12/2007 at 06:36

51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Round The Bend
I know its not a 2.0 but for comparison purposes, I run a 1.8 Zetec. Sadly, I log the fuel consumption and can report a smidge over 39 mpg over the last 12 months. Mainly motorway driving.

Edited by Round The Bend on 07/12/2007 at 08:36

51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - RobertyBob
From a mathematical perspective
with a computer whose memory hasn't been cancelled for months you could spend a whole
day in a traffic jam and not see much difference in your mpg figure!

Yes I do appreciate that. You can see that the computer average is more variable in the early months of the year (I reset the average each Jan 1st).

The MPG varies during the year: the average drops to about 38 - 39 in summer when the climate control is having to work harder. The best is in Spring and Autumn: no very cold starts and the climate control having an easier time.

Cruise at 60mph in the spring and summer and you can watch the mpg tick up; cruise at 80 and the value doesn't move.

From the few tank to tank measurements that I have carried out te computer is 1-2 mpg optimistic.
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - DP
I really am finding this eye opening.

Even driven hard, you get mid 30's from a 2.0 petrol engine these days, and up to 40 driven sensibly.

Why are people (myself included) buying diesels again, particularly factoring in the higher purchase price, more frequent servicing, more expensive fuel and the big question mark over fuel system longevity?

That's not sarcasm, but a genuine question. I was genuinely expecting people to report figures of 28-30 mpg.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - cheddar
Why are people (myself included) buying diesels again particularly factoring in the higher purchase price

Not sure it is comparing like for like, a 2.0 petrol has nothing like the drivability of a good 2.0 D, perhaps a larger engined petrol would be a more relevant comparison.
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - OldSock

Perhaps a larger engined petrol would be a more
relevant comparison.

For comparison, I did a 320-mile round trip from Cambridge to Dewsbury on Saturday (late morning to late afternoon). Up the A1/M62 and down the M1/A14.

1999 Volvo S80 2.4 (170)auto with 135k on the clock.

42.5mpg
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - RobertyBob
Why are people (myself included) buying diesels again

Because you like the driving style? My 2.0l petrol does seem to lack low end torque (well compared to my previous 2.5l V6 anyway).

The equivalent diesel when I bought my Mondeo was £1000 extra. Interestingly, at the time (2004), I didn't think about fuel system reliability. I did worry about potential turbo failure though - but I don't seem to hear many stories of actual Mondeo turbo failures.
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Dipstick
Just out of interest, given that one of the selling points of diesel is better residuals, in the real world if you were to be buying that 2004 Mondeo now, secondhand, what would you pay for the petrol and that diesel model that cost £1000 more at the time?
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - f2
I bought mine at 2 years old as a private purchase. Given that BIK wasn't a consideration, my average mileage (13k pa) and the increased purchase/servicing costs; I couldn't make a case for diesel other than personal preference.

Throw in worries about previous drivers misfuelling a diesel (a friend who runs a haulage company misfuelled his CLK recently and if he can do it, anyone can), and the case for petrol was made.

f2
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - RichardW
DP: "I used to get about 42 with the diesel, and currently get around 34 in the petrol"

I think splodgeface's figures are most revealing: "I used to get about 42 with the diesel, and currently get around 34 in the petrol"

That's a 19% reduction in fuel consumption going from petrol to diesel, or a 23.5% increase going from D to P. At 10k a year that's saving £190 pa, but at the 27.5k I do, it's saving £520 pa. (I would expect a larger figure for my Xantia HDi as I get 45mpg average - and I don't hang around, I would expect to be down at 30 in a 2.0i). That saving is nearly enough to pay for the car over the 4 years I intend to keep it.

Having said that, I am strongly considering a 2.0i C4 as a replacement for our ZX when it dies rather than a 2.0 HDi - they are already c£2K cheaper than the diesels, and my wife only does 8k miles / year....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - googolplex
To add more perspective to this discussion:
Having changed from the TDCi to the 2.0 petrol, my hope and expectation is that the petrol will be far cheaper to service/repair beyond warranty than the diesel. RobertyBob - mine was a TDCi turbo failure - £1400. No turbo to go wrong in the petrol. Also had fuel injector failure - £500 a time. Cheaper and more robust in the petrol. These are very real considerations which RichardW needs to factor into his calculations when comparing diesel and petrol running costs beyond warranty. And, to be fair, there are plenty of CR diesels out there which have rather dodgy reliability records like the TDCi. (Consider, for example, some of those Renault/Nissan problems.)

I wholeheartedly agree that the petrol is nothing like as fun to drive. On paper it has more horses, but in mid range acceleration I really do miss the buzz I got from the diesel. I'd definitely say the diesel is better on the motorway too. Ironically, the diesel is the one they planted the 6 speed box in, but the petrol is the one which is noisier at high revs particularly when you hit motorway speeds. I constantly find myself looking for a 6th gear - and my old diesel was one of the earlier 5 speed ones. I also do alot of towing in the summer - boat trailer - and the petrol really struggled up those gradients on the main roads in the West country last summer. However, the petrol is just as good at pulling up steep slipways.

I would say that the diesel is definitely the better car if you can afford to offload before the end of warranty. But, I can't afford that and need a car which will last about 10 years, and 180K miles. It has to be the petrol for me. Surprisingly, for one who does 18K miles per annum, and works the car hard, I'm not having to fill up as much as I thought. And, to be fair, I'm learning to enjoy the drive...but I do miss that torque...
Splodgeface

Edited by splodgeface on 07/12/2007 at 17:02

Thanks all for the replies. It's just I had a chance to jump from the safety of a totally satisfactory XUD powered Xantia Estate to a Ghia Mondeo Estate 2.0 petrol... because of a friend who had mistakenly declined a PX offer when buying a new car and thought a private sale would be easy three weeks before Christmas! He's now looking to be *very* realistic so the kids can get their presents.

Anyway decided not to in the end as... 1) My Xantia never drops below 40mpg so the possibility of 30ish on short runs was a worry. 2) An even bigger worry was finding out that the Ford 2lit petrol can eat its throttle parts through the inlet manifold and conjure up a £1000 bill.

Also on rough Fen roads the Ghia over-large wheels/tyres were pretty poor for ride comfort.

You're right splodgeface.... a really important factor these days with used cars in their middle years is the specific wallet torching fault each model seems to have the potential for.

David
51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - MW
I'm thinking of one of these 2litre models in the summer. What is the throtle problem. I am hearing contrasting information about the auto (which I must have). Some say it will break after 70K, some say no problem. Is their any auto experience out there? Can problems be avoided by over servicing (oil etc) the gearbox?
As I understand it there have been rather too many instances of the throttle body butterfly and/or its pivot parts rattling loose and being injested by the engine with an associated £1000 bill. I think Ford have available an updated part set at around £400 to cure the fault before it happens.

Ok so it's probably a slim chance any particular car will suffer but I still don't like the sound of it.

David

Edited by M.M on 10/12/2007 at 22:22

51 reg 2.0 petrol - value & fuel consumption. - Jonsen
Mine is currently on 180,000 miles.

Has had the inlet manifold done - Its not too expensive if you catch it before it breaks off and damages the engine. Mine was fixed prior to it disintegrating (despite one hell of a rattle) at a cost of around £300.

There is a thread on a Mondeo forum I frequent about it as one person is trying to organise a recall however I doubt it'll happen as the cars all have a fair few miles on them. There is a bit about diagnosing the fault in that thread too. I dont know whether or not I can link to another forum as I'm new here but here goes - www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/760616/.../

I get around 38mpg out of mine (estate 51 plate, 2.0, zetec) at about 75 on the motorway.

If you cruise at 58mph you can get 49mpg out of it as you can see here, I know my trip meter consistently reads between 0.5 and 0.7mpg too low so your looking at 50mpg! - www.fordmondeo.org/threadattach/1189614945-from_ph...g (Showing 94K on the clock as the dials were changed to add the trip computer)

Other faults to look out for are the clutch / DMF, mine failed at 160,000 - Costing around £750 to put right. Auto boxes are known to be poor. You don't get the subframe bush problem on the estates that you get on the others.

All that aside its a great car, plenty quick enough and handles really well.

Edited by Jonsen on 11/12/2007 at 09:12

Mondeo 51 reg 2.0 petrol - Good used buy?. - M.M
Since I started this thread in early Dec'07 I've been happily trundling about in the old Xantia TD with no more Mondeo thoughts. However we were talking again about changing last week and by chance found out the family with the 51 plate 2.0 petrol Mondeo estate never actually sold it and have just used it as a weekend car now and again using their new people carrier as the main car.

Add to that someone has asked to buy the Xantia so...

Looking round the Mondeo again I'm again attracted by the Ghia X bling, leather etc and giving it a serious second consideration.

Any further Mondeo thoughts since Dec? I wonder if the manifold butterfly failure is being talked about more or was it just an odd few cars? Any more bits falling off? I have read the CBC breakdown.

Further fuel consumption experiences of users would help... particularly steady speeds on top between 50-70mph. On our straight Fen roads with little traffic I can do 90% of the length of my regular journies at a steady speed of my choosing.

David
Mondeo 51 reg 2.0 petrol - Good used buy?. - kmw
I have a 51 Plate 1.8LX hatchback petrol with 52000 miles on the clock. Due to the high cost of fuel I have had to re-think my driving style. I drive down the M5 everyday approx 48 miles, so around 100 miles a day. I used to drive at around 80 - 90 and get around 400 - 450 max out of a tank of fuel.

I have read a lot about how you can save money on how you drive so I did some tests to find out how much I would save - I think you may be surprised.

I do not have a trip computer to had to calculate using online tool

www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

First week:

Around 500 miles and had to fill up at just over 420 miles so didn't even get me to the end of the week. driving at around 80 - 90. 31.8 mpg

Second week:

Around 500 miles and got 318 miles and still got over half a tank left. doing around 60 mph. works out at 48.19 mpg

The way I had to drive was taking car out of gear down hills and coming up to junctions - basically any slight hill I took it out of gear. Hardly ever pushed the pedal - I mean hardly. It was almost like stroking the pedal. Also make sure you do not put it up the gear range to quickly as this can use more fuel.

Have not finished test yet but hopefully that it will save me between a tank and a half to 2 tanks of fuel a month which is a saving of around £130.

And it only made a difference of around 10 mins on my journey doing the lower speed.

My poor car is starting to show it's age and things are starting to fail. Whenever the weather is cold or wet when I lock the doors the doors open again. This does not happened in the dry warm weather.

The Drivers height adjustment motor made a crack noise and now just turns without actually doing anything. Started getting baring noises from front wheels. Bare in mind that the car has only done 52000 miles. I would be interested if anyone else has had these problems especially central locking problem as I would like to sort it out before I sell.

I looked into px and the most I could get was 2100 in the condition it's in e.g stained seats from kids dropping food etc and a few scratch's and one small dent.

Parker guide say it's worth anything between 2800 to 3500 max private sale.

I am looking to trade my car in for a Citroen Xara Picasso 1.6 or 2.0 HDI (04) as it is only £120 tax and will according to citroen do 650 miles to a tank (55 litre).

I would be interested if anyone has any experience with the Picasso.

Some of you may say "I have got my figures wrong" or "I could not drive like that" or "your the idiot causing all the traffic problems on the motorway". I actually make sure that I stay where possible in the slow lane and in front or behind lorries. At the end of the day money talks. I just laugh as the people flying pass me wasting all that fuel and only probably gaining mins on there journey.