What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What common-rail diesel can you rely on? - drivewell
Previous car was a 2003 Picasso Hdi - loads of problems, including pump failure at 10K. (warranty covered this)

Presently driving 2005 Mondeo TDCI (130bhp, Euro IV). No major problems (apart from gearbox out to lubricate splines on input shaft - as clutch not always disengaging)

I usually buy a 6-9 month old car shortly after my existing vehicle gets its first MoT, so I'm looking at changing mid-2008.

What should I buy? Friend has a 2005 Honda Accord diesel - certainly not been trouble free - just had a new stability module - also put off by label in door jamb saying 'Check oil daily' - but hers isn't using oil.

So - what is a reliable diesel? Interested to hear your comments.
What common-rail diesel can you rely on? - cheddar
I have had my TDCi 130 from new, it has now done 124k and drives virtually as new, only engine issue was a reprogrammed injector at about 70k miles, done as goodwill by the dealer despite being out of warranty and a replacement aux belt and tensioner done FOC under a Ford TSB.

Edit: Still doesnt use oil between services.

Edited by cheddar on 03/12/2007 at 22:22

What common-rail diesel can you rely on? - NARU
Mine doesn't use any oil, now up to 67,000 miles (54 plate 130 six speed).

But it has had a new turbo, new reverse switch and had a fuel return pipe replaced. Its now running poorly for the first 10 seconds and pushing out clouds of grey smoke on startup, so booked into the dealer. It also needed a new seat base.
What common-rail diesel can you rely on? - drivewell
Just wanted to clarify, mine (at 37,000) is using virtually no oil over 12,500 miles. Might drop from top mark on dipstick to 3/4 at most.

(comment re. oil usage related to the Honda diesel's reputation a couple of years back for consuming vast amounts of the stuff - I secretly reckoned they were supplementing the fuel with engine oil, and that's how they were achieving their pretty amazing mpg figures! LOL )
What common-rail diesel can you rely on? - nick
I think just about any car handbook will suggest checking the oil daily or weekly.
What common-rail diesel can you rely on? - Dr_Duffy
After engaging a solictor I have finally managed to get Ford to repair my faulty 2006 Mondeo TDCI under warranty. The repair will be £1500+ and the hopefully the last of several visits to the Ford dealer.
The engines have known weak spots (even the Ford service manager told me that they are not that reliable). Apparently there were some "mistakes" in dealing with my problems and the dealer has now apologised for the delay and inconvenience and agreed to support a repair under warranty - although it did take two letters from a solicitor to get to this point.

I would not recommend these cars.
My previous car was a Fabia VRS. Handling was not as good as I anticipated but at least it had a reliable engine.